Apo Island from Panglao

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

citrinette

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
This isn't my last question... at least I don't think it is...

Can I get to Apo from Panglao? I mean do dive centres go there by boat like on day trips or do I have to go from Cebu or Negros?
I kinda wanted to be in Panglao as a base to dive around Bohol, and the apo area. Will that be possible or do we have to move towards Negros or South Cebu to dive Apo?

Thanks for everything guys, this forum is absolutely a necessity!!

I have seen shops on Panglao advertising scuba safaris that included Apo Island on the itinerary. More like 2-3 day trips instead of a day trip. Probably best to arrange that in advance though, it might take good luck to simply show up at Panglao and find a trip to Apo while you are there.

Better to take the daily ferry from Tagbilaran to Dumaguete on Negros. From there you have a couple options, go straight to Apo Island, or stay at one of the resorts closer to Dumaguete which offer day trips to Apo. Staying on Apo island means plenty of dives around Apo, but not being able to see some of the other sites offered from the resorts on mainland Negros. I like Apo island, think dive-eat-dive-relax and watch the sunset-sleep, its a quiet place. If you are looking for variety, you might be happier staying on Negros which will give you more options for dive sites. Regardless, Apo island is certainly worth the effort to check out while you are there.

It is not difficult to leave Panglao in the morning to catch the ferry, and still get in a couple of afternoon dives from Negros or Apo. And make sure you have a warm shirt for the ferry, they crank up the AC, you might feel like an icicle if you just hop on with just T-shirt, shorts, and flipflops.

Depending on your time you have around, but Apo for one day from Panglao is quite a trip. Make 2 or 3 days out of it. Stay in Dumaguete (or one of the resorts) and make a daytrip to Apo plus some incredible Critter-diving around Dumaguete
You can find any information for Hotels, diving, transferes around Dumaguete here: Dumagueteinfo

I think the best is staying at one of the resorts in Dauin. They do two dives trips to Apo almost every day, and in coming back yo can dive around Dauin....critters and strange life. Very interesting.

The accomodation in Dauin is more comfortable than in Apo, where there is electricity just 7 hours per day, and the mosquitos are always happy to see you arriving in the island. The food is also much better in Dauin, but of course Dauin is more expensive than Apo Island.

Cheers.

Thanks! that was my final decision, I will be staying in Dumaguete or nearby to do some diving in the area.

sounds good, you will not be disappointed. There are plenty of opportunities what to do and where to stay in the arae, also depending on your activity level.
If you are staying in Dauin you are a kind of stuck in your resort, as they are in the middle of nowhere. There are very valuable nice Hotels in Dumaguete and smaller Dive-shops where you jump in the water with two or three other divers. Visit my site about Dumaguete and you find probably all information you need about Duma and Negros, including Hotels, Divecenter, restaurants and and and...
When are you planning to visit the PI?

cheers

Rhoody

It's hard to know when, because we haven't figured out which direction to go in, whether we should head to Palawan first and then Visayans or vice versa. Anyhow we'll be in the philippines from the 10th of Feb to the 13th of March. I'll check out your site.

Thanks!

sounds good, you will not be disappointed. There are plenty of opportunities what to do and where to stay in the arae, also depending on your activity level.
If you are staying in Dauin you are a kind of stuck in your resort, as they are in the middle of nowhere. There are very valuable nice Hotels in Dumaguete and smaller Dive-shops where you jump in the water with two or three other divers. Visit my site about Dumaguete and you find probably all information you need about Duma and Negros, including Hotels, Divecenter, restaurants and and and...
When are you planning to visit the PI?

cheers

Rhoody

I'm planning to dive in Dauin/Apo area as well, and I'm thinking about the same thing - getting stuck in the resort. Do you think it's easy to catch a jeepney or bus to/from Dauin if I stay in Dumaguete? Or do dive shops in Dumaguete normally offer day trips to Dauin? I know they offer trips to Apo, though.

Scuba Ventures dive shop runs day trips around dumaguete. I've used them before. The only problem is no place to wash or store your gear - you show up to the beach, get on the bangka, setup equipment on bangka, then go dive.

But I had a good time.

If you stay in Dumaguete, I recommend Mikes Adventure-dive-shop at the Boulevard, he is a American guy, great fun and the best Mexican snacks in town. He starts his trips from Dumaguete and brings you to the dive-sites with his car. When you go home, they can drop you at your hotel, and take care of the Equipment until the next day (storing, rinsing). By the time you come here he also might have finished his washing area in his future Resort in Dauin. If you wanna stay in Dumaguete I can recommend the Hotel Palwa, quite at a central location in Dumaguete, but still quiet, free WIFI and very warm atmosphere, or coco Grande, a bit more expensive.
If you planning to stay in a Resort in Dauin, you can catch rides to the City until 8pm in the evening, The way back will be around 200+ peso at night, or some unrealistic high Resort-rates if you book the transfer via them...

cheers

Rhoody

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom