Apex Regulator 1st stage / 2nd stage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ajmataz

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm looking through diveinn.com and after researching on various regulators, I'm set on either Apex ATX200 or TX50 and TX40 for the octopus.

However, I'm a little confused with some fundamentals, as this is my first purchase for regulators.

The packages that you can find on the website (ATX50 DS4+ATX40) or (ATX 200+ATX 40) - are they for both first and second stage?

Is the DS4 a first stage - when you buy a regulator, does it usually not come with a first stage?

Does the ATX200 come with a first stage (it looks like it does in the pictures). Why is the DS4 not included?

:06: :06: :06:

ajmataz:
I'm looking through diveinn.com and after researching on various regulators, I'm set on either Apex ATX200 or TX50 and TX40 for the octopus.

However, I'm a little confused with some fundamentals, as this is my first purchase for regulators.

The packages that you can find on the website (ATX50 DS4+ATX40) or (ATX 200+ATX 40) - are they for both first and second stage?

Is the DS4 a first stage - when you buy a regulator, does it usually not come with a first stage?

Does the ATX200 come with a first stage (it looks like it does in the pictures). Why is the DS4 not included?

Apeks are a compent type system based on your needs. You can mix and match different 1st and 2nd stages. The DS4 1st stage is a workhorse tech 1st perfectly suitable for recreational diving. The ATX series of 2nd stages are newly updated more compact versions of the TX line of 2nd stages. I dive the DS4 and ATX50 combination and love it. I have dived the ATX200 and I can't tell the difference in the 2nd stage from the ATX50. The ATX200 normally comes with it's own 1st stage that is different from the DS4. It has one more HP port and is more of a flat head vs a barrel. I'd save your money and buy the ATX50 DS4+ATX40 combo mentioned above. You'll love it.

I believe the main difference between the ATX200's 1st and the DS4 is the layout. Someone else may know more about the 200's 1st. They make the ATX200, ATX50, ATX40, ATX20. The 1st's are the ATX200, DS4, DST(might not make this turret version of the DS4 anymore).

ajmataz:

Sorry if I confused you.

The DS4 is a 1st stage.
The ATX50 and ATX40 are 2nd stages.
The ATX200 is a 1st and 2nd stage.

Any of these can be used with each other interchangeably.

Let me break it down for you even simpler. Just about every Apeks second stage is identical. The ATX200 second stage is just about identical to an ATX50 second stage. There are some minor differences, but they're primarily cosmetic. Ditto with the ATX100. An ATX40 is identical to an ATX50, except the 50 has external adjustment features. The AT20 doesn't have a heat exchanger, and should only be used in warm water.

As for FIRST stages, you can get a DS4, or the DST. Both are still made - the DST has a swivel turret. This is packaged with either the 40 or 50 second stages.

The 100 comes with a 100 second stage, and the 200 First stage comes with - yes, you guessed it - the 200 second stage.

ajmataz:

Just check up the apeks´website.....www.apeks.co.uk

all info is available there...

Apeks just loves to make things confusing.
When a person says "ATX100" etc, it can mean either a complete regulator or just the second stage.
If someone is talking first stages, they will usually mention that it's a 1st stage, like ATX100, ATX200. The DST & DS4 are foolproof though, they're 1st stages without a doubt.

They're all close enough in design that one rebuild kit for the 2nd stage covers the entire TX and ATX range, & the same for the 1st stage kit, one kit covers all the diaphragm models. (DS4, DST, 100, 200)

Good luck in your hunting, there are some decent places out there that sell the critters pretty reasonably. :wink:

Some other reasons that people choose the DS4 over the DST are that it is more compact and (for our paranoid friends) provides less of a failure point. As mentioned all the second stages are identical. The 200 first stage does breathe a little easier than the 50. This is only noticeable on a magnahelic or other breathing device. Most common reasons for choosing this are the angled ports. They are really good for routing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom