Apex Atx40 /50 /100/ 200

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I own the ATX200 first and second, and an ATX40 backup.
I am looking to get an ATX50 with the DS4 first. I currently have the ATX200 setup as DIN, but want to try the Ds4, and see how that does. The Ds4 is supposed to have better port angles, and is sold in 300 bar DIN, without conversion.

Diveinn had a firesale on the TX50 with Ds4 first for like $169.00!!!!!! I am still kicking myself for missing out on that deal. That would have been THE setup to get if you could have caught that deal.

You can usually pick up an ATX200 first and second stage on Ebay for around $320.00 or so. The regs can be adjusted to breathe SO easy..... you can feel little to no resistance. Amazing reg. IMO.

Good luck.. you are defenitely headed in the right direction!

GP:
ATX40 and ATX50 - come with either the DS4 (nonswivel) or DST (swivel) first stage. The DS4 has all 3/8 inch LP ports, the DST replaces one 3/8 inch LP port with a 1/2 inch port. The second stage is identical to the ATX50 but doesn't have the breathing adjustment knob on the side. They both have a venturi lever on the second stage and they both have heat exchangers for good coldwater performance.

ATX100 and ATX200 - both have the same identical second stage. The difference from the ATX40/ATX50 being a slightly larger heat exchanger in the second stage and a new special micro adjustment that can be adjusted by a tech. The ATX100 is supposed to be a step up from the DS4/DST firsts. It's a nonswivel like the DS4. It still contains one 1/2 LP port like the DST though. The ATX200 first stage is the newest top of the line first stage and supposedly breathes the best of them all. I haven't personally tried the ATX200 so I can't say for sure but I've heard from others it does breath noticeably better. They all breath good though and you can't go wrong with any of them IMO.

The 100 and 200 have larger chambers which allow better air delivery. The Most recent Aqualung Legend used the design of the 200 and the old legend to create what it is. As stated earlier Great reliabilty and breathing effort by all the Apeks regs. ATX40 may be the best value for a reg under $500 (Retail $465) We probably sell 9 ATX40s out of every reg sale at my store. Never once have we had a complaint even under the harshest conditions.

Anybody try the Tek 3 first stages yet?

Haven't tried them but would imagine they breathe the same as the DS4, FST, DST, FSR. Personally I wouldn't buy them as they are post specific.

Last edited:
I have Tec 3 regs and like them a lot. I sold my Mk25/G250V doubles regs not long after buying them.

Unfortunately I haven't dived any other Apeks regs, so I can't compare.

As buddhasummer mentioned, being post specific could be a disadvantage if you wanted to ever use the 1st stages for something else.

I went ahead and got them anyway. [emoji41] that chrome! [emoji12]

Yeah, I like to rotate primary and back up every six months so the wear is even. Quite possibly unnecessary but I got stuck on the idea.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom