Apex Atx40 /50 /100/ 200

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi

Am wanting to purchase a new regulator - the research I've done so far has pointed me towards Apex ATX 40/50/100/200 and that's my problem what are the differences between the 4 models. :confused:

ATX40 and ATX50 - come with either the DS4 (nonswivel) or DST (swivel) first stage. The DS4 has all 3/8 inch LP ports, the DST replaces one 3/8 inch LP port with a 1/2 inch port. The second stage is identical to the ATX50 but doesn't have the breathing adjustment knob on the side. They both have a venturi lever on the second stage and they both have heat exchangers for good coldwater performance.

ATX100 and ATX200 - both have the same identical second stage. The difference from the ATX40/ATX50 being a slightly larger heat exchanger in the second stage and a new special micro adjustment that can be adjusted by a tech. The ATX100 is supposed to be a step up from the DS4/DST firsts. It's a nonswivel like the DS4. It still contains one 1/2 LP port like the DST though. The ATX200 first stage is the newest top of the line first stage and supposedly breathes the best of them all. I haven't personally tried the ATX200 so I can't say for sure but I've heard from others it does breath noticeably better. They all breath good though and you can't go wrong with any of them IMO.

I have the TX50 with the TX40 second and it rocks.

How's that for a review?

You can't go wrong with any Apeks(ATX20 is for warm water only), I just think the more expensive models are........well, more expensive.

buff once bubbled...
Had to get my favorite dive shop name in.

Best Apeks prices.

Actually a quick check today shows Leisurepro with better prices than Diveinn on the ATX100 and ATX200. Diveinn does have a better price on the ATX50.

spindlemonkey once bubbled...
Thanks guys!

Just one more thing, what's the 1/2 inch port on the DST for?

To complicate things. The same can be said out the swival too. It's a marketing ploy.

Mike

Just one more thing, what's the 1/2 inch port on the DST for?

As I recall, and I may be wrong, it was some convoluted idea about breathing better with a larger diameter hose. Most of the guys I know with DSTs just get a port plug/adapter thing and use a standard hose on it. Last thing you want is to have a hose problem on that liveaboard trip you saved pennies for and not be able to fix it with standard parts.

That being said, I have 3 DS4s, an ATX50, a TX50, and a TX40. They all work great and are awesome breathers. I honestly can't tell the difference between the ATX50 and the TX40, but I haven't ever tried any of the higher end models (ATX100-ATX200).

We use the ATX200 and love them.
*tossed in my $0.02*

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom