apex 50-100 0r 200

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've got a question for those who have gone the tech route. For someone who is just entering doubles and technical diving (about to start my IANTD advance nitrox course), would the following be a right initial choice. Buy 2 ATX50's to be used on manifold doubles. At the early stages of training, I presume I won't be going that deep (40-50m). As I graduate on to deco bottles, relegate the ATX50's as deco regs and in the future buy some ATX100 or ATX200's for backgas? Or if I can afford it, should I just get the ATX100 or ATX200 from the start. Just want to avoid making the wrong reg choices at the start that I might regret in the near future as I progress through tech training but would be nice to lesson the initial cost a bit by going the ATX50 route...

You may not want to use a diaphragm reg for a stage/deco bottle as they are less tolorant of accidental flooding than pistons.

I would use the 100s. Personally, I would shy away from the ATX's because of the turrets, that gives you an extra point of failure. DS4's or 100s are hard to beat.

Blitz:
I would use the 100s. Personally, I would shy away from the ATX's because of the turrets, that gives you an extra point of failure. DS4's or 100s are hard to beat.

ATX is just the designation for the small Apeks second stages—it has nothing to do with the first stages (DS4, DST, FST, FSR etc.). The DST (usually paired with the ATX50) is the one with the turret.

I just purchased two ATX50s and a DS4 (no turret) with the metal hand wheel, so far it is working great.

pakman:
I've got a question for those who have gone the tech route. For someone who is just entering doubles and technical diving (about to start my IANTD advance nitrox course), would the following be a right initial choice. Buy 2 ATX50's to be used on manifold doubles. At the early stages of training, I presume I won't be going that deep (40-50m). As I graduate on to deco bottles, relegate the ATX50's as deco regs and in the future buy some ATX100 or ATX200's for backgas? Or if I can afford it, should I just get the ATX100 or ATX200 from the start. Just want to avoid making the wrong reg choices at the start that I might regret in the near future as I progress through tech training but would be nice to lesson the initial cost a bit by going the ATX50 route...
although some people I know prefer the piston type deco reg, I know that the diaphragm is superior in performance, and the swivel turret kicks *** for deco rigging. Sounds ok to me. The whole failure point thing is a personal choice.

pakman:

If you're going down the technical route, maintenance costs will completely overshadow your purchase costs in the future. You'll be maintaining a fleet of regs. Initially, it'll be 2-3. From there, it will rapidly progress upwards. Depending on how often you dive and the stress you place on the regs, maintenance costs over a few years equal the cost of replacing a DS4/ATX50. You'll also wind up breathing more and more on your deco/stage regs than your backgas regs. Eventually, you don't even breathe your back gas regs at all.

Although there are minor variations between DS4/DST/ATX100/ATX200 1st stages, they all perform well in the most demanding environments. If you've got the money, go ahead and splurge. For me, I've got a fleet of DS4s and either ATX50's or TX50s. Most of my teammates dive DS4's too so interchangability, repairs, etc... are normally a snap.

Sincerely,
H2

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom