Apeks XTX 200 IP issues

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Steelyeyes

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have an Apeks XTX 200 with close to 400 dives on it. It's been serviced every couple of years and never had a problem until the last year. Admittedly we moved to Bonaire and 250 of those dives were in the last 18 months or so and now the IP moves around. It will work fine for a while and then either my Air2 or my second stage is burping or free flowing. My wife has a similar issue with her Apeks XTX 100 which developed over the same time frame. The LDS just serviced both regs a couple of months ago and now the problem popped up again. Is there something they should be looking for instead of just swapping out O rings and such?

An IP creep is because of a leak from the high pressure side of the first stage and the low pressure side. There are two, maybe three o-rings and one seat/crown where that can happen. If those o-rings abrade or extrude or the sealing surface isn't right then gas can sneak past.

I'd be thinking of two things. First, a good inspection of all the sealing surfaces to make sure there isn't corrosion or a scratch. Second is to look at how you're taking care of your reg. It's possible that contamination is causing this. Like getting sea water in the reg when rinsing, or not having a dust cap on it. It's also possible the contamination comes from the tank.

This is all presuming that your service techs are using Apeks kits. If they are trying to save money by using off-the-shelf o-rings then they may have chosen a poor quality or wrong o-ring.

O-rings won't cause the issue the OP was mentioning to both regs.
The usual suspect is either the HP seat or the seat valve. For the XTX200(FSR) the valve is replaceable but not the XTX100(FST).
If the valve seat is damaged then the technician ought to have notice it when servicing the XTX200 because he/she needs to replace the O-ring attached to it.

Another possibility is the technician!!!

Have seen cases where users think the hex head top cap is for adjusting the IP and turn it under pressure. Creates a nice groove in the seat and IP creep.

Not saying it was the case in this instance.

Need an IP gauge for adjustment and must be carried out under pressure.
The adjusting screw is enclosed by the environmental seal for both FSR(XTX200) and FST(XTX100). Only the non-sealed 1st stage eg US4 in which the screw is exposed.

Hello to all ! Happy New Year! My friend, in addition to the gaskets and the valve seat, the AP 1415 spring is involved in the operation of the gearbox, most likely due to constant compression it has lost a parameter - the modulus of elasticity. When adjusting the regulator, you see that everything is in order, and after a period of time, if you measure the set pressure, you see that the settings are knocked down. In short, you need to change the spring. The photo shows a change in the height of the spring from the regulator, which is 4 years old and a pile.

Attachments

• Apeks AP1415.jpg
    Apeks AP1415.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 91
I have over 20 different APEKSregulators. After 5-7 years of operation, I change the springs. By the way, these springs can be made to order and get even better quality than the original ones if the manufacturer has a wire alloyed with silicon. There are services for the selection and purchase of ready-made suits according to the parameters of the springs.

Справедливость выше только в оценке со стандартными сервисными манипуляциями.

Hello Petr,

The AP1415 spring on my deco reg (DST) is frequently found stuck (thankfully only between the dives), leaving too high pressure in the MP part.

Each time, I need to open the reg, release the spring, and all works well for ... a few dives maybe.

I am planning to order a replacement, and like your idea of made to order better quality springs.
Would you have more information (ex: specs, example of providers ...) to make a few new springs ?

Thanks in advance,
Joffrey

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom