Apeks WTX Harness without STA Issue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rainsey

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just picked up my WTX but unfortunately the single tank adaptor is on back order so I am forced to use my tank straps directly through the harness. In theory no probs ... but..

On assembling the tank straps through the holes in the wing, through the harness webbing and then back out the hole in the wing all seems O/K, except the wing is rediculously high .. around 2 inches too high. end result is that I have a bucket of boyancy behind my head rather than my back.

Thinking I had incorrectly assembled it it did it again and came up with the same result. Interestingly enough, if I turn the wing upside down the holes in the wing for the tank straps seem to align perfectly:idk:

So the question .. anyone else out there experienced this ... Sorry need to mention I am using an APEKS WTX3 Boyancy cell.

Cheers

Rainsey

Where does the top of the wing finish in relation to the top of the tank, beginning of the valve? Where do you want it to finish?

I spend a bit of time on the Apeks website comparing things with other things but mainly looking at regs.
I've just spent half an hour comparing slots in relation to holes regarding the characteristics differences between single and twins wings when mounted using a plate.
They should have a rear view of the harness setup with mounting detail for comparison.
Thanks.

Where does the top of the wing finish in relation to the top of the tank, beginning of the valve? Where do you want it to finish?

Kern,

In theory the top of the valve could be any distance from the top of the wing, all depends on how high or low the tank sits.More the point how high does the wing sit on the harness?

Where I do not want the top of the wing is as a pillow behind my head. If one looks at a pic of the WTX3 boyancy cell on Apeks web page they will see that the top of the band holes are under the first upper bolt hole.

If one looks at a single tank adapter (no pic on their web site but I have mine delivered today .. horray) the tank bands are centred to the bolt hole. This equates to around a 6cm ( around 2.4 inches) difference. So .. in using no STA, the wing sits 6cm higher than if a STA is used.

On my dive on the weekend I found that I actually had bouyancy forward or level with my ears resuting in me wanting to be tilted head up rather than horizontal.

Being that I have just received my STA the problem is now a non problem for me but I would still like to know if anyone else has experienced this.

Cheers

Rainsey

I have found this as well. A bit of a pain. You can turn it upside down and swap over the dump valve with the inflator, but it leaves you with the d-ring up at the top now.

Dave

I have found this as well. A bit of a pain. You can turn it upside down and swap over the dump valve with the inflator, but it leaves you with the d-ring up at the top now.

Dave

Hey.... I like that idea. Dave .. I am going to try that because the second issue I have with my WTX is that there is no handle to grab when I am trying to lug it up over the gunnels of the boat. The ring at the back may just fix that problem.

Also, I am finding with the STA, the tank sits quite high of my back. I use a backplate in my WTX and hence being designed predomanently for twins, the twin tanks sit closer to the backplate. With a single, the STA adds quite a bit of distance from the backplate to the tank. If the inverted wing works I may ditch my STA.

Cheers

Rainsey

I'm at the same crossroads here myself. Does using or not using the STA have any effect on trim ? I assume without the STA the tank is alot closer to your back. But I might need/want that weight there.

---------- Post added January 18th, 2015 at 01:57 PM ----------

I'm at the same crossroads here myself. Does using or not using the STA have any effect on trim ? I assume without the STA the tank is alot closer to your back. But I might need/want that weight there.

---------- Post added January 18th, 2015 at 01:57 PM ----------

An STA will move the tank away from you by about an inch or so. Some people mind others don't so YMMV. A BP/W is assembled by putting the cam bands through both the plate and the wing, with most plates there is not much if any room for adjustment. If that position works for you then fine if not then an STA may help you out. With an STA the cam bands go through the STA not through either the plate or the wing. Thus you have more freedom to position the tank and the wing where you want it. I would go without an STA first and do a few dives to see how it works. If you feel you need a STA then you can always add it latter. Dive Gear Express has inexpensive models for $25, so the expense is not that great. The advantage of a STA is that it makes disassembly easier and you can use any wing with any plate.

the only trim change you'll see is it does take 2lbs off of the belt and moves it up a bit higher, so if you're feet down it helps. You also will tend to get a little more air in the front of the wing since the tank isn't pushing down on the top part of it, so when full the air is a bit more balanced around the top and bottom of the wing. I personally prefer STA's greatly and the only time I dive singles without them is when I'm using my transpac because there's no point in using one. they also tend to make assembly a bit easier...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom