Apeks WSX-45 or Katana 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chap77

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Ok I have seem some other threads with similar topics but not quite. I work at a LDS and we are a Aqualung/ Apeks shop. Meaning I get a good discount on the Apeks WSX BC but I also can get a pretty good deal on the Katana 2. I prefer the Katana 2 but it is currently on back order and seems like it will take a couple of months before it is here. I am really wanting to get into side mount this summer and we have the WSX-45 in stock.

I plan on getting some LP85's to dive with it but I also will use our shop AL80's as well. I want to get into cave diving in a couple of years once I am out of college. I will mostly be doing lake dives in the temp range of 80-57 degrees so 3mm to a 8/7mm semi dry.

I know the Katana 2 is regarded as a better BC overall but in my case I can either start side mount during peak dive season or start in a couple of months when I will be able to dive much much less. Any help or opinions is much appreciated.

- Chap

Post a wanted to buy. Might shake something free that way.

Ok I have seem some other threads with similar topics but not quite. I work at a LDS and we are a Aqualung/ Apeks shop. Meaning I get a good discount on the Apeks WSX BC but I also can get a pretty good deal on the Katana 2. I prefer the Katana 2 but it is currently on back order and seems like it will take a couple of months before it is here. I am really wanting to get into side mount this summer and we have the WSX-45 in stock.

I plan on getting some LP85's to dive with it but I also will use our shop AL80's as well. I want to get into cave diving in a couple of years once I am out of college. I will mostly be doing lake dives in the temp range of 80-57 degrees so 3mm to a 8/7mm semi dry.

I know the Katana 2 is regarded as a better BC overall but in my case I can either start side mount during peak dive season or start in a couple of months when I will be able to dive much much less. Any help or opinions is much appreciated.

- Chap
Is there anything in the next six months that you “need” sidemount for? I only have a dive or two in a WSX but a couple hundred hours in a K2 and would elect that one every time. It doesn’t sound like you'll be missing any dives by not being sidemount, so would lean towards waiting.

Is there anything in the next six months that you “need” sidemount for? I only have a dive or two in a WSX but a couple hundred hours in a K2 and would elect that one every time. It doesn’t sound like you'll be missing any dives by not being sidemount, so would lean towards waiting.
You are correct I do not need it for any dives anytime soon and probably won't need it for a couple of years until I get cave cert. I was able to find a K2 for sale from a website so I could always pay full price and be on with it. Thanks for the help!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom