Apeks wing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Perhaps, but you can't swap it out for the excellent OPV from DSS.

I don't think you can. The DSS ones fit my generic dump valves, I had a play with a Hollis and Scubapro wing which use proprietary (?) or special to the wing and the DSS would not fit. I'll check again to be sure.

Sorry, just noticed you said "can't", morning comprehension fail, apologies.

Last edited:
I continually see people dislike the apeks for non standard opv. Progression shouldn't be shunned! Where's all the broken ones anyways? Never seen a single pull tab let alone whole assembly malfunction.

I continually see people dislike the apeks for non standard opv. Progression shouldn't be shunned! Where's all the broken ones anyways? Never seen a single pull tab let alone whole assembly malfunction.

I like the Apeks low profile opv valve on their wings. There's no protruding bits and consequently less to get bumped or damaged. It's a very simple design. See the manual I included in post 7.

Apeks does Valves very well. Their Drysuit valves have become an industry standard in Europe, and are used by many independent Drysuit manufacturers.

But … I really don't like the pull knob Apeks use on the low profile valve. It reminds me of a Devils Thorn, for obvious reasons. One day soon I'm gonna replace those pull knobs.

I have two Apeks Wings. A WTX-18 and a WTX-30 PSD.

They are both excellent quality. For single tank diving, the contoured tailoring of the Wing at the top and bottom means the Wing leaves room for the tank.

The Apeks Inflator unit is the standard design, it just has higher quality stainless steel components rather than plastic.

The dump valve is really simple to service. All it needs is the occasional rinsing of the valve. No O-rings, no seats to replace :).

The most important tip when re-installing the dump valve is Step 2 on Page 2 of the instructions.

I can't decide between the WTX-18 or 30 for tropical diving. Is there much of a difference, or should I just get the 30 for more flexibility?

We live in Bali and dive frequently in Raja Ampat. Just got back from a trip and have another one in a few weeks, during which time I have to get a new wing as I pinched the Deep See Supply one resulting in a leak (dove 10 days with this leak! But I do not wish to repeat that little exercise!).

Unfortunately there are not so many choices here in Bali.

I could get Apeks 30 lb. wing with a steel BP or a Halcyon for twice the price. I am a recreational diver, no caves, nothing below 30m for the most part, just regular diving!

The Apeks wing looked good to me but I really don't know what to look for. (The DSS wing worked fine for me for many years). There may be other options on the island, but there are not very many BP/W divers around here so I am not so sure.

Anyway is there a strong consensus on Apeks?

Thanks in advance.

- Bill

Im in the same predicament, live in Bali and dive in R4. Not many options, just Apeks/Halycon. Did you decide on the WTX 30lb in the end. Was you happy?

Just get the 30. More flexibility with negligible difference in drag and packing weight/bulk.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom