Apeks vs Poseidon vs Scubapro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScoobieDooo

Reaction score
Hi,
TRYING to decide on one of the above regs...tough choice.

SP G250 with MK20 or MK25

or

Apeks TX50

or

Poseidon Oden

HELP! I'm SO confused.

I dive wrecks and want to do some cold water (ice diving) eventually. Any one more suited than the other?

I have 2 scuba pro mk25's with g250.
I also have 2 Apeks DS4's/TX50.

All of them are very nice regulators. The scubapros where a lot more expensive than the apeks. I don't think the price difference was worth it.

I don't know about the posieden.

I think I saw a DIR/GUE article which highly recommends Apeks and Scubapro, while not recommending Poseidon. Think it would help make up your mind?

:wink:

Well, since I dive OMS Bungee wings (and GUE hates them) yes and no! Hahaha.

I'm leaning on the Apek's side....my instructor boasts that the SP pistons deliver 3-4x more air that diaphragms do.

I'm leaning on the Apek's diaphragm side at this point - a ncie sealed 1sts stage to keep all the crud OUT of it.

I have no experience with the Scuba Pro regulators, but I hear good things about their regulators in general. The Apeks and and Poseidon regulators are both fine regulators as well.

The Apeks usually will come with a 1/2" low pressure port that the second stage is connected to that most people change from to a more "Standard" port. Some people also shy away fromthe Poseidon regulators as they have a slightly different Low Pressure hose due to their different design. The "non standard" configurations really isn't that big a deal as long as you carry the spares that you may need and not rely on the kindness of others to loan you parts.

More importantly, what regulators do your buddies dive with, and what regulators does your dive shop prefer to service? Being able to get local service quickly and easily, loaners/replacement parts when needed, as well as general familiarity between dive buddies far outweighs most "performance differences" of quality regulators.

BTW, if you go for ice diving, then you will want to look at the "anti-freeze cap" for the Poseidon 1st stage if you go that route.

I have been lucky enough to dive all the
the mk25ul s600 was the best breathing, but I personaly shy away from pistons, especially in cold water
the tx100 tx50 and atx50 are all great breathing and are dry sealed.
My personal favoride is the ODIN Jetsream, can be tuned by a sood tec to breath very well better than apeks. and has the lowest temp rating with the enciro. kit. But finding a good poseidon tec is very hard

I have an Odin/Jetstream and just picked up two Apeks DS4 Tx50's

I really like the way the Odin breathes, especially at depth. The Tx50's seem nice, but I don't have near as many dives on them. Getting the Poseidon's serviced + getting parts potentially requires some leg work and research. It's worth it to me. I am even considering picking up a new Poseidon Xstream.

Right now there seem to be a problem getting parts for the Poseidons. It takes forever. We try to carry everything one would need for them and have to plan several months ahead.

I can get Apex parts in a couple of days if necessary. All three regs work very well but I like diaphram for several reasons.

Hallmac

ScoobieDooo once bubbled...

..........my instructor boasts that the SP pistons deliver 3-4x more air that diaphragms do.

He is correct ScoobieDoooo... but that is like having a satelitte dish that gives you 400 channels. You don't watch but one at a time.

The diaphram does have less air throughput compared to the piston but I personally only plan on breathing one lung full at a time.

I too am looking into purchasing a new reg...I think I'm going to go ith the Apeks 100....

The 1st stage is sealed...and it is a balanced diaphram...that is a big attration to me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom