Apeks v. ScubaPro Regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mermaid T

Registered
Reaction score
I was certified a month ago and have been on 4 dives since then. I am hooked and have found "My Thing" for life. That being said, I now need my own equipment. I have been researching it ALL and have narrowed the regs down to the SP MK25/S600 and the APEKS ATX200. I know that these are both great. I dove with both in my pool and liked the SP slightly better. My question is...

Which one will perform better at depth? I was only able to go pool deep so that was my limitation. If the difference is non-existent or negligible so be it, but I would like an opinion if there is one.:confused:

function at the top of the page to find out all the comments on these 2 fine regulators. There are probably a couple of hundred comments out there.

ID

Hi,
I can only add that GUE has gone from SP to Apek's - something I am told had to do with SP's having some 'seat' longevity issues.

Rumor has it that sometimes SP releases new compounds/materials of their seats onto the market too soon berore enough of an evaluation or testing gets done - and sometimes this results in a less than ideal longevity issue. This does NOT mean SP is not a great reg - thats not what I hear. Just that sometimes sales dollars dictate over timely testing.

Now, any manfacturer can be guilty of this - I assume. But, supposingly, GUE/DIR purists have gone from SP's to the Apeks.

From what I have seen on the 100's of postings on this message board, Apeks is a mightly fine reg and I sure like the finish and design of their 1st stage. I also like the shape of the lever on the 2nd stage.

I'd go the ATX200 if I had lots of money, but most likely the ATX100 and ATX50 for backup.

Good luck!

I can only add that GUE has gone from SP to Apek's - something I am told had to do with SP's having some 'seat' longevity issues.

Where did you see that? We just spent a DIR Fund weekend with several GUE instructors, including JJ, and they all seemed quite happy with their SP regs.

Tommy

Hi

you live in USA, so i assume SP is cheaper. OK, here we go:

Warm water diving: SP. (cheaper SP vs Apeks)

Cold water diving: Apeks DS4 or tx100 or tx200.

btw: I also heard that many wkpp'ers like Apeks more than SP. But i also heard that JJ still is very happy with SP. George Irvine dont like SP because of high maintaince costs he told me in an email. Either way you can go wrong, both are very good and reliable. But if i were you and i had to choice between a DS4 !! (not the tx50) or the MK25, i would go for DS4.

BTW this discussion is has been going on since the beginning of the earth......oeps :D i mean the beginning of this forum. Check the previous posts.

Good luck, Xerxes

Another thing to consider is where you are planning on diving, I mean traveling to dive. I know SP has a strong presence around the world, Apex may also, I do not know. I like the SP, but that is just me.
I wish I was in the position to be deciding between the two! I am trying to figure out how to fit a Vyper in the budget:)
Bill

Most public safety dive teams here in NE Ohio use Scubapro. We ice dive with this reg. MK-25 could probably deliver enough air for 10 divers. Very good product. Wouldn't think twice about this purchase SP is the way to go.

APeks vs Sp?

Well having dived both, I'd say both are good regs. Wether you dive the Apeks from the new Aqua Lung or the older Zeagle versions or even the english version they are all Apeks. The performance to costs would tell me to go Apeks. I believe The new world record depth was made using Apeks (1010 feet) That may make your choice easier. And I believe there are more Auqalung dealers than Scuba Pro. Older Apeks can be serviced by a Zeagle dealer so if you have a Aqualung Zeagle dealer in your area you would really be doing good. Zeagle use to sell Apeks in North America up to two years ago now they make their own and they are also very similar to Apeks, so whats that tell you!

That's a nice choice to have. Can't see that you can go wrong either way!

my choice is the apeks if you can go the route get the apeks ATX 200 I dove it the last week for support divers this weekend with the navy and trust me we put them through the paces guess what I love them bought one for my self for my personal rig excellent regulator !!!!!!!!!!!
dont get me wrong scuba pro make good regulators too but I feel in love with this jewel

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom