Apeks US4 vs DST weight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wKkaY

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm looking at ways to lighten my doubles rig as I'm top-heavy. One of the options I'm considering is changing the first stages from Hog D1 (similar to DST), to the Apeks US4. I can't seem to find info on this first stage's weight though, does anybody know?

that's not going to change your top heaviness by any significan't amount, sorry.... Moment arm isn't big enough for it to make any real difference. Use a tail weight or go to heavier fins

that's not going to change your top heaviness by any significan't amount, sorry.... Moment arm isn't big enough for it to make any real difference. Use a tail weight or go to heavier fins
That's the conclusion I expected to come to but I'm keeping an open mind.

For my last dive with doubles, I used 3kg of tail weight and was approaching trim that I'm happy with. As long as I arch my back to tilt gas up the wing, and extend my legs a bit to move the jetfins moment further. But if I relax my posture, I start tipping over forwards when the tanks are horizontal.

I figure that if I could remove say 500g up the top, I could probably remove 500g of tail weight too?

@wKkaY potentially but there isn't 500g to remove up top and to me it certainly isn't worth the expense of dealing with that for a kilo. One thing that a rather well known GUE instructor does is put some lead weight in the front of the foot pocket of the fins. Could probably put 500g in each fin and that would work a lot better, may allow you to remove the tail weight entirely

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom