Apeks TX50/DST Hose Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

giles45shop

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I want to try out a 7' hose on my Apeks TX50/DST and have a few questions. I understand the 1/2 vs. 3/8 " hose differences and it appears I can get a 7' hose in either size. I'm currently using a Zeagle Envoy on a 30" hose for my octo. I'm thinking I would put the 7' on the 1/2" port and get a shorter hose for the octo (on a bungee necklace). Any pros/cons to that vs swapping them (Envoy on the 1/2")? What length of hose would be good for the octo? It's a single tank set-up on a Genesis Recon BC.

Second question: Does the regulator need to be adjusted by a technician to account for the 7" hose vs. standard length?

Thanks,

John

I use my Apeks with my doubles. I use the Apeks on my 7ft hose. I simply plugged the 1/2 inch and used a 3/8 7ft hose I had used with my Scuba pro first stage. and I didn't adjust the intermediate pressure on the reg to account for the 7ft. I have had no problems.

IMO you are should have no problems with either set up you suggested. Do what works for you.

Polly

I would recommend leaving the 7ft. on your primary.
Pros: Usually adapters or 1/2" plugs are more expensive than the hose. The routing would only be complicated otherwise. And of course arguably better flow out of the 1/2" port (subject to debate).
Cons: Can't think of any.

As for the hose length for your octo, I would recommend as short as 22" as you can get it. The whole idea of this system is safety. You wouldn't want to counteract this with an overly long hose that bows out to snag anything it can.
Your envoy will work fine as an octo as the innards are very similar to (identical to) n the apeks.

The 1/2" port is supposed to do a little better job of supplying air but for me the best solution has been to use an insert that converts the outlet to a standard port size. Those hoses are usually much easier to find and can be swapped anywhere in the event of a blowout. Otherwise, I'd plug the 1/2" port and forget about it.

Hose lengths can be contentious but the 7' hose length came about due to the requirements for penetration divers to be able to exit single file while sharing air. If you aren't doing penetration diving, a shorter hose is easier to manage and something approximately 5' long will allow you and a buddy to share air while swimming comfortably side-by-side. Long enough is long enough, in other words. As to the alternate, the hose needs to be long enough so that it will sit necklaced under your chin and allow you to use the regulator without restricting your head movements yet not be so long that you create a large loop over your shoulder to snag on things. Whether you are diving single or double tanks will also affect the optimal length. For what it's worth, I dive with an 8' hose on my primary and a 2' hose on my backup - your results will almost certainly vary.

Finally, no, the second stage does not need to be set differently to account for the extra hose length. Good question, though. Most folks don't think things through that well.

giles45shop:
I want to try out a 7' hose on my Apeks TX50/DST and have a few questions. I understand the 1/2 vs. 3/8 " hose differences and it appears I can get a 7' hose in either size. I'm currently using a Zeagle Envoy on a 30" hose for my octo. I'm thinking I would put the 7' on the 1/2" port and get a shorter hose for the octo (on a bungee necklace). Any pros/cons to that vs swapping them (Envoy on the 1/2")? What length of hose would be good for the octo? It's a single tank set-up on a Genesis Recon BC.

Second question: Does the regulator need to be adjusted by a technician to account for the 7" hose vs. standard length?

Thanks,

John

I used a 1/2'' to 3/8'' adaptor ($4.00) and ran a 7' hose for the pri. off of it. and use a 22'' hose on the occto. worked good for me. I recently went to the DS4, which does not have the 1/2'' port. But still use the same hose length. You wont need to adjust your reg for the extra length of hose.

All,

Thanks for the great responses! I've thought about the adapter as well, but I would rather just use the 1/2" hose, as it's one less connection. Right now I'm only diving locally, so having to replace hose is no big deal. If I go on a dive vacation, I could always carry another 1/2" hose.

I've been thinking about the 5' vs. 7' as well. I'm hoping to take a cavern class in the near future, and depending on how that goes, possibly go full cave. I know 5' would be okay right now, but I'm thinking that getting used to using a 7' wouldn't hurt.

Thanks again,

John

Whatever works for you is best, but if you are thinking of going to a 7', why not get used to it now?You will see the advantage when you do s drills. The only reason I like the adaptor is having only one size hose to deal with, and it's readily available at any shop. Not so with the 1/2'' hose, I have heard all of the arguements on the adaptor, but find them baseless. The adaptor is so small, and tight to the 1st stage that it would be a miracle if it were to fail in some way, Lots of dives on mine with no problems. In the end, you'll find what's right for you.

I have the exact same reg.

Currently I mount it with the env seal facing down, and have a 22" 1/2" hose on the 1/2" port for my bungeed backup. Its the closest LP port to me (on my right) when mounted to a tank. I keep a spare 22" 1/2" hose with me since its a non-standard hose, I also keep a 1/2" to 3/8" plug with me, just in case.

The other LP port on that side (slightly farther away from me) is a normal 3/8" port. I was running a 40" primary on that but I'm now going with a 7' primary instead. Echoing dbg40's comments, the first time I tried a modified s-drill with my 40" hose I suspected it wasn't going to work, and I confirmed it my first s-drill walkthrough with a long hose.

FYI, if you can't get hoses you need for this locally, Joel at TechDivingLimited.com keeps an amazing selection in stock. Unlike Apeks hoses, Joel's 1/2" hose actually has a larger inside diameter than a stock 3/8" hose but it seems to me that it makes those hoses a little stiffer -- perfect for the bungeed backup though.

I use a ATX50/DST for my single tank reg. I put the long hose on the 3/8" port (where the octo would go), then I just use the normal hose and second stage as my backup on a bungee necklace. Works very well.

On my doubles, I use ATX50/DS4 and don't have to worry about the 1/2" port.

DJ

dgb40: I agree with you, that's why I'm think of trying the 7' right now. I also agree with you on the fitting, probably not much chance of failure.

Is the fitting on the second stage end of the hose the same for both the 1/2" and 3/8" hoses and universal between regulator types?

If so, I could set mine up like ppodiver, buy the 7' 3/8" hose and swap the Envoy to the Apeks hose. If the Apeks hose seems too long, then swap to a shorter 1/2 hose.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom