Apeks Tech Shorts Long Term Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have the YonSub knockoff of the Apeks shorts. I'm convinced they're made in the same factory, and are the same product, only rebranded. So far so good. I have only been diving them for a few months, even though I've owned them for the better part of a year now...(thanks covid!).

All in all, I'm happy with them, but based on the feedback posted here, I will he keeping a keen eye on the pocket material for wear and tear. Thankfully, the YonSub "version" is about 20% the cost of the Apeks label. (Also important to note that YonSub has a second model of pocket shorts, which are very different, usually in a camo pattern, those are NOT the ones I have.)
my wife and I also have the yonsub version of these. we haven't had them in the water yet, but I also suspect they are just rebranded Apeks made exactly the same.

I cured this with an old hockey style suspenders that attach on the sides, not the front & back.

I'd never heard of those. Is this the type of product you're using - Proguard Heavy-Duty Ice Hockey Adult Suspenders? The description says "Designed with 1.5-inch elastic straps, the hockey pant suspenders will quickly fasten on to the front and back of any hockey pants with buttons."

I'm not familiar with hockey apparel. Whatever kind of 'buttons' these hockey pants have, are they present on the Apeks shorts? How do you attach hockey suspenders to yours?

I've been struggling with whether to add glue-on pockets to a couple of wetsuits, or buy Apeks. I hear size 44 pants, and it looks dicey whether the Apeks would fit. Even if they do, using suspenders so they don't drop (since I'm rounder in the middle) seems wise.

Looking over other answers, one thing I'm thinking...it'd be easier to push the suspender straps off my shoulders and ditch the shorts after a dive than to empty a spool, SMB and spare mask out of a glue-on pocket in my full wetsuit (front zip shorty might not matter).

One other possibility that I don’t think anyone has mentioned is that some models of waterproof and mares wetsuits have the “docking Pads” built in. For those unfamiliar, these are Velcro lips which accept separate pockets which Velcro in the lips mostly securely.

unfortunately, the pockets are rather expensive $70 each and the wetsuits generally only have docking pads on one side.

if anyone is interested, I will make a YouTube video on the subject of different types of pockets and how to glue them on wetsuits. I made an analogous video on different types of drysuit dry glove systems and there are hundreds of views of that.

Curious to hear long-term feedback on the Fourth Element tech shorts. Somehow, even more expensive than the Apeks but they do look nice.
So circling back to this thread. Any thoughts/feedback around the fourth element shorts? Have they held up? Other current suggestions on tech shorts for usual gear (e.g. DSMB and spool).

Bump:
I am after a new set of 'tech' shorts [what makes them tech?] , I use them on every dive, SMB and reel one pocket and spare mask the other.
Just another place to store stuff, and it works for me.
I am looking at the Apeks and the Mares XR Tek Light Shorts, I did not like the 4th Element ones, the fit was not right.
Thoughts?

Bump:
I am after a new set of 'tech' shorts [what makes them tech?] , I use them on every dive, SMB and reel one pocket and spare mask the other.
Just another place to store stuff, and it works for me.
I am looking at the Apeks and the Mares XR Tek Light Shorts, I did not like the 4th Element ones, the fit was not right.
Thoughts?
The pockets make them tech. An alternative would be dad cargo shorts. Not tech at all.

I have the Apeks and the 4E. The Apeks don’t stay put well on the boat, but more capacity, hate the d rings. 4E stay up better, less space, like the bungees.

Back
Top Bottom