Apeks Tech Shorts Long Term Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I haven't dived with any but I recently compared the Apeks tech shorts, the Mares XR shorts, and the "Kona" knockoffs of the Apeks tech shorts.

I went with the Apeks tech shorts over the Kona knockoffs because it was thicker material and overall better stitching (whoever, if the Apeks wears out quickly like some people report, then I have to imagine the knock off is the better deal at half the price--you could just get two). I didn't love the Mares XR shorts because they were baggy, they are not neoprene like a wetsuit (which might be a plus for some but my intent was to wear the shorts and a top and no wetsuit at all), and the material is rough (though sturdy). I really wanted to like the Mares XR shorts because of all the things I read about the Apeks shorts but decided to give the Apeks a try. I'll be diving it in a couple of weeks. I also suspect there might have been a bad batch or even counterfeit Apeks tech shorts around? From the material that I'm feeling on mine, I can't see how the pockets would develop holes unless you're constantly scuffing them against hard surfaces (entirely possible if you jam a lot of gear in the pockets I suppose).

Curious to hear long-term feedback on the Fourth Element tech shorts. Somehow, even more expensive than the Apeks but they do look nice.

Have anyone tried these? AKUANA 3mm Premium Neoprene Tech Diving Pocket Shorts Scuba Diving Wetsuit Pants They say it is with Kevlar fabric. It should be more resistent.

I have both:

First bought the Apeks and used for around a year but were too big. No issues so far, I had around 50 dives with them and held very well. Since I live in Hong Kong I had the chance to buy the Akuana shorts for half of the price you posted (around 60EUR). So I got them with the correct size and happy with them. Quality wise, are worse than the Apeks as the black neoprene band in the butt is starting to peel off. Also the pockets are a bit smaller and the rings are made of plastic. For what I paid, happy. But the price you posted is 2 times what I paid... in that case I would go for the Apeks.

For the Kevlar thing (only the butt), not big difference compared to the Apeks as are rubberized.

Does anyone make shorts with the pockets more to the front for SM?

I felt like the Apeks shorts were falling off all the time. Snugged up the belt and they still felt way too big. I'm thinking about just going with some glue-on pockets on my 5 mil.

That’s what I finally ended up doing, after getting fed up with the shorts. I also forgot to put them one one time as well. After the glue on pockets worked so well the first time, I put them on all my other wetsuits.

You also get to pick which pocket you want and where you want to put it.

The first one I did, I was paranoid about the pocket falling off, so I sewed the corners for added security. The second time, I did not bother with the sewing at all. Since then, I have done a number of others.

I think most people’s reluctance to use glue on pockets over shorts is psychological. They don’t want to mess up their wetsuit. The cost of gluing on several sets of pockets on different sets of wetsuits is the same. I have worn out two wetsuits with pockets and the pockets are still fine. I think I will just cut them off and glue them on the next one.

Despite some instructions on the internet, you do not need to use cotol. Just aquaseal which comes in the kit is fine. I use a paperback book in the pocket and some weights to keep it together while curing. Don’t be tempted to save any of it. Use it all. I also use blue tape to prevent runoff.

I always make people put on their wetsuits to position the pocket. Its like 2d versus 3D positioning of the pocket.

one thing I have to do, is empty my pockets out prior to removing the wetsuit when I get out of the water because I usually invert the wetsuit to remove It.

I have a pair of Apek Tech Shorts and have about 300+ dives on them. They do have a small cut in one pocket, but the rip-stop material as kept it from expanding over the last 50 dives. The neoprene is still good. The Velcro belts still works good. I did not care for the D-rings inside the pockets. I just removed them and tied 8” bungee loops instead on each of the four pocket equipment tie downs.

My biggest complaint is I cannot get the belt tight enough to keep them up when I load the shorts up with reels, masks, dry notes, etc. The root cause though is not the short’s design, rather my butt, or the lack there of. I cured this with an old hockey style suspenders that attach on the sides, not the front & back.

I personally love my Apex shorts...and at about 50 cents per dive, well worth it. Apek is going out with a newer design in 2021 I am thinking about replacing my old ones.

I have the YonSub knockoff of the Apeks shorts. I'm convinced they're made in the same factory, and are the same product, only rebranded. So far so good. I have only been diving them for a few months, even though I've owned them for the better part of a year now...(thanks covid!).

All in all, I'm happy with them, but based on the feedback posted here, I will he keeping a keen eye on the pocket material for wear and tear. Thankfully, the YonSub "version" is about 20% the cost of the Apeks label. (Also important to note that YonSub has a second model of pocket shorts, which are very different, usually in a camo pattern, those are NOT the ones I have.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom