apeks regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the dst come automatically with the swivel turret?

same strange routing for a sidemount

DST always has a turret and you can either buy it with the 5th port installed or have the 5th port retrofitted.

This is what the Apeks sidemount kit looks like with two DST first stages, both fitted with 5th ports but only one using it;

gdz1235.jpg

the DST is only a swivel, that is what makes it a T=turret. It does not come standard with the fifth port, but when you order it, just let them know you want it and it will come with it. The sidemount kit does come with the 5th ports already

I agree that the DST is the best option of the ones you listed. I would add that the tek3 is the worst option as the hose routing doesn't work for sidemount at all.

I think you should prove tbone wrong. Buy a couple of Tek3 and if they don't work out, I'll gladly trade you for my DSTs. ;-)

iPhone. iTypo. iApologize.

Ken, I actually really like the Tek3's for sidemount, less for backmount though. Only issue with them is using them for single tank sidemount is a little interesting if you're in a drysuit. I run all of my hoses down then back up, but now that I'm getting into DPV cave diving I've stuck my SPG's straight up so the Tek3's obviously don't work for that....

Ken, I actually really like the Tek3's for sidemount, less for backmount though. Only issue with them is using them for single tank sidemount is a little interesting if you're in a drysuit. I run all of my hoses down then back up, but now that I'm getting into DPV cave diving I've stuck my SPG's straight up so the Tek3's obviously don't work for that....

Funny that we have the opposite view of the Tek3s.

I like them (and use them) for back mount and like the hose routing where everything goes down. A slight downside is the stress on the LP inflator and backup reg hoses in a DIR config.

For sidemount, the thing I dislike about the Tek3s seems to be the same thing you like...the hoses all route down and away from where they need to go :)

yeah, so on doubles I much prefer the DST routing. I think having the secondary come from the bottom port and straight over from the left, then the inflator doing the same from the right post is the best routing for doubles, and when sharing air it allows the long hose to donate to the full length so there is no risk of it getting pinched off *however low that risk is, is irrelevant, it is better that it is going straight out*.

In sidemount I could take it or leave it for the turret and fifth port, but I am learning to accept the advantages of SPG's coming up, primarily when using a DPV so you can check the right bottle without stopping and have a much easier time checking the left bottle. I don't like it because everything is going different directions, but it is a compromise. I dove Poseidon 3960's for a long time in sidemount and thing the whole thing looks a lot cleaner, but sacrifices had to me made. I don't think the bottom port is necessary in sidemount, only advantage is in the drysuit inflator but as soon as you have to push a bottle forward everything gets weird. I much prefer all of my hoses to go down then back up to where they need to go then have the turret swivel and have them in my armpit.

DST. You need the swivel turret, particularly for the left side.

I use DS4 and no problems. It is just a personal choice.

I thought I had to change my twinset regs: Scubapro MK19 into the sidemount regs and then use the ds4 on the twinset, but that was not needed. Saved me work :D

I use DS4 and no problems. It is just a personal choice.

I thought I had to change my twinset regs: Scubapro MK19 into the sidemount regs and then use the ds4 on the twinset, but that was not needed. Saved me work :D

I'd be genuinely interested to see how your sidemount routing looks. Have any pics?

Im interested in the Tek3 for sidemount bailout regs. No drysuit connection, so that's not an issue. And I'm ok with the SPG being down. What I'm not ok with is the Tek3 price. I'm waiting for Jack to come up with a HOG clone.

iPhone. iTypo. iApologize.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom