Apeks reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jasonmh

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I saw that the "wheel" on the Apeks DS4 DIN model was recently changed to a Delrin wheel instead of a metal one. Most of the places I've talked to have the delrin model, but some said they have both, with the metal wheel costing a little extra. Any opinions on if the Delrin model is acceptable, or if it is worth an extra 20 bucks to go with the metal wheel?
Thanks

I have both. Personally I find the steel wheel more difficult to loosen up after diving (not a lot of grip). The Delrin wheel gives more grip. I personally feel that both will outlive a person in terms of durability if taken care of. (not abusing it, dropping it etc.) I have not seen a yeah or nea as to steel wheel or not w/r/t DIR.

But I am sure some other members here may have other opinions......

Few months ago I purchased one and went for a metal wheel (payed extra) and got delrin one as spare part. Looking better to delrin wheel it doesn't seem to be easily broken but who knows.

Interesting........never heard of any plastic wheel breaking.... but if bean counters were/are running the company, and they dont sell that many plastic wheels..... guess what, soon they would be phasing back the steel wheels at a higher cost. Makes perfect 'beanie' sense. Who knows?

I just got the DS4 through:

http://www.divesports.com

Was told they metal wheel was not being used anymore, but the shop replaced the delrin wheel with metal at my request. (They also stock Apeks spare parts.)

Good prices, recommend that you call 'em.

Meng_Tze:
Interesting........never heard of any plastic wheel breaking.... but if bean counters were/are running the company, and they dont sell that many plastic wheels..... guess what, soon they would be phasing back the steel wheels at a higher cost. Makes perfect 'beanie' sense. Who knows?
It could be that Apex is discontinuing the derlin wheel just because their customers (divers) are questioning it. Rule #1 don't piss off the customer and drive them to something else.

My DS4s have the delrin wheels. I like them more than the metal ones. I can't imagine what these people who are breaking them are doing to their first stages.

Doc Harry:
I just got the DS4 through:

http://www.divesports.com

Good prices, recommend that you call 'em.

Thanks, I have already called Divesports and they were very helpful. I am planning on buying from them when I am ready to order. Glad to hear you had a good experience with them.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom