Apeks Reg Self-Servicing Training?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GoBlue!

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm considering buying an ATX200 & ATX40 soon. It's bothering me that my LDS is going to charge $820, when I can pay $577 via DiveInn. That brings me to a question.....

Ignoring the warm fuzzies that some feel by supporting local business, it seems that the main thing I'd be giving up by going w/ DiveInn is not getting the manufacturer's warranty, thereby not getting my "parts for life." (how much do these really cost, anyway??)

So.....after reviewing the fantastic Apeks materials on SeaJay's website, I'm starting to think about servicing my own regs. I've never done it before, however, so I'd like to hear from those who DO service your own Apeks regs (which my LDS tech says are the "easiest regs in the world to service"), how did you get trained? Self-taught through Vance's book & the now-widely-avaialble-online tech manuals? Have a friendly technician teach you?

Basically, I don't want to get in over my head w/ life support equipment, so I'm wondering if coughing up the cash for the LDS to get the warranty is worth it, or if most folks with the right tools and attention to detail could service these regulators.

Jim

and the shop owner . Yes! most folks with the "right tools and attention to detail" could service these regulators.

Hallmac

PM me with your email address and I'll send you the .pdf files for the rebuild and one from another mfg. that details the process for their equipment, it also relates the cleanliness thing in strict detail. You'll do fine, IMHO.
db

:sharkey:

Hi Jim,

have you ever thought of taking the equipment specialty course ??? from what i hear, its quite the intense course, i m sure you wont have a problem servicing all your equip. after that.

Sven

You'll probably want to make sure you've got a parts source before you waste your time. That's the difficult part.

Thanks for the plug, GoBlue! :)

I have many of the .pdf files, as well as a PowerPoint presentation on how to rebuild regs (Apeks) on my site. I also have a list of parts suppliers, too. :)

Go to http://www.DeepSouthDivers.org and click on "Talk" and then "Equipment." You'll see the stuff there...

SeaJay once bubbled...
Thanks for the plug, GoBlue! :)

I have many of the .pdf files, as well as a PowerPoint presentation on how to rebuild regs (Apeks) on my site. I also have a list of parts suppliers, too. :)

Go to http://www.DeepSouthDivers.org and click on "Talk" and then "Equipment." You'll see the stuff there...
checked out your web page great info,well done. thanks for making that info available.

GoBlue!,

As long as you can get the parts you need, there is nothing wrong with servicing your own reg. Chances are that you will do a better job than the tech at the shop would. Reg servicing isn't all that difficult if you pay attention to detail and have basic mechanical ability.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom