Apeks question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GP

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I recently purchased an ATX-40 second stage from Simply Scuba to replace my Zeagle Octo + as my backup reg. I also got a DIR hose kit. After hooking everything up and testing it out I noticed that the ATX-40 breathes noticeably better than my TX-50 primary. I am wondering if the ATX-40 needs to be tuned down. I am a little concerned that it may freeflow on a dive. When I had it hooked up to test it out I submerged it in a bucket of water and it didn't show a hint of freeflow but that's probably not a real good test.

Sounds good to me. Just keep it in the negative position when it's under your chin. I would be more concerned about your TX50 not breathing better than the 40. It should. It sounds like your TX50 is out of adjustment to me.

Good luck,

Mike

Yeah, that thought crossed my mind as well. When comparing the two breathing off of them my first thought was "why doesn't my TX-50 breathe this nice" and I had the TX-50 adjustment knob turned all the way out too. I'll have to bring them into the shop soon and get em' checked out I guess.

Based on your initial post, it sounds like the only place you've tested your reg is on the surface....is this correct? If so, wait until you get it in the water(to a reasonable depth, say 10-15ft minimum) before you make the decision that the TX50 needs some work. It may make a difference in how each breathes.

Mike

Originally posted by Aviatrr
Based on your initial post, it sounds like the only place you've tested your reg is on the surface....is this correct? If so, wait until you get it in the water(to a reasonable depth, say 10-15ft minimum) before you make the decision that the TX50 needs some work. It may make a difference in how each breathes.

Mike
Yes, you're correct I've only compared them on the surface. I will get a chance to compare them at depth on some dives this weekend.

I have the same situation, the 40 breathes a good bit easier than the 50. As LY says, the switch takes care of freeflow.

I have not had them looked at but plan on it soon.

Tommy

All of my adjustable Apeks regs breath considerably better than my 40, regardless of whether I'm at depth or on the surface -- as they should.

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom