Apeks pin spanner wrench on Zeagle regulator?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wjrussell

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have two Zeagle regs, (Flathead 6 and DSV) and I'm cheap. I found an Apeks pin spanner (AT30 see link below) and was wondering if it would be compatible with the diaphragm rings on my Zeagle first stages. I know many of the Apeks and Zeagle regs are similar (or identical) and was wondering if anyone has serviced both with the same spanner. The price difference on the tools is $30, so it could save me a bit of cash.

Apeks Pin Spanner AT30

I am not cheap just thrifty :rofl3:. If the pin is a little too large for one you can always take a little off they don't have to fit tight in the hole. The arc is more important. I would pick up a cheap adjustable one at a garage sale/bay and grind off the hook which is what I did. I then drilled a hole and a deep counter sink. I can put any size pin (ground down bolt) in it and lock in place with a nut. I also ground the adjustable link portion to make sure no high spot was hitting the reg body. I can tackle any reg now. A simple piece of paper/cloth provides protection. $5.00 for the adjustable spanner $100 for my time but who really counts that :D.

Last edited:
Be careful. The Zeagle Express website offers two different pin spanner wrenches: one for the Flathead VI and one for the rest of the Zeagle first stages.

For working on my Apeks regs, I purchased a couple of the 40-42mm DIN 1810 Form B pin spanner wrenches (#891-40; $17/each) from BloomerTool.com. They are well-built and work great on my Apeks regs. It's handy having two of the wrenches since the diaphragm clamp and end cap can get stuck to each other (and both metal parts have the same pin spanner wrench holes). FWIW, I can only assume that the AT30 wrench (which ScubaTools.com is selling) is similar to mine.

Taken together, this info seems to suggest that the AT30 may fit one of your first stages or neither but not both.

If you don't want to spend $40 on the pin spanner wrenches that Zeagle Express sells, then you're going to need to find someone to give you the specs of the wrenches for both the Flathead VI and DSV. If the AT30 fits one of them, then you could order that. If the AT30 doesn't fit either, then you could purchase the appropriately sized tools on Bloomertool.com...or get an adjustable pin spanner wrench with the possibility of modifying it (as mentioned by DiveGusto). DiveGusto's method is probably the cheapest route.

Thanks Bubbletrubble,
The link you sent is the right size at a reasonable price so I went with it.

So did you have to order two different sizes of pin spanner wrenches from BloomerTool?
There has to be some reason that Zeagle Express is selling one wrench for the Flathead VI and another wrench for all the other Zeagle first stages.

I screw screws into clamps

188 056b.jpg

and into vices and stuff and use strap wrenches

as I am not a deformist

Back
Top Bottom