apeks or scubapro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H2Andy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
ok... i am looking for a level-entry open water regulator (so i don't have to keep
messing with my overhead set up every time i dive aluminum tanks)

and i have narrowed it down to

Apeks AT20 (diaphragm) ($275)

or

Scubapro Mk2 - R190 (piston) ($175)

given the $100 saving, i am strongly leaning towards the Scubapro.

anyone have any experience with these models and recommendations accordingly?

thanks!

I would choose the Apeks hands down between those two. The Scuba Pro MK2 is a much older design. It's still a good reg but coupled with the R190 Second stage it's pretty much a rental reg. The Apeks is a much better reg and you won't regret spending the extra $100 later on.

Scott

H2Andy:
ok... i am looking for a level-entry open water regulator (so i don't have to keep
messing with my overhead set up every time i dive aluminum tanks)...

I think you should go with your overhead set up instead of either of your options.

The left post setup will have your short hose on it and your SPG. Just plug one of your 40 inch deco 2nd stages into the first stage, and add a LP inflator hose, and you are good to go for NDL diving. That is what I do.

Bring your set up from your other post with you as well, with another 40 inch 2nd stage, and keep that one in the car as a backup. I got to a distant site once, and my 2nd stage on my primary set up freeflowed. I wished I had brought a backup with me then.

Remember that in overhead diving, you will mostly be using your right post set up. Diving NDL with your left post setup keeps it functioning and exercised.

No sense in wasting money on another reg, unless you need a reg for your argon bottle or your 20 ft 100% O2 deco bottle. And in that case, I would definitely suggest you go with the SP Mk2. The MK 2 is perfect for argon bottles, pony bottles, and 20 ft 100% O2 deco bottles. Remember to get the Mk 2 O2 cleaned however, if you plan to use it on your O2 bottle.

Scottri:
I would choose the Apeks hands down between those two. The Scuba Pro MK2 is a much older design. It's still a good reg but coupled with the R190 Second stage it's pretty much a rental reg. The Apeks is a much better reg and you won't regret spending the extra $100 later on.

Scott

The SP Mk 2 is perfect for all applictions of 50 ft or shallower. Some divers even report good performance at 70 ft.

You may call it a "rental reg" because it is used by students for basic open water classes to 60 ft. It is still a great reg within its range of performance. It is not balanced, therefore I would not recommend using it deeper than 60 ft.

I own two Mk 2s. I use one of them for my argon bottle and the other (O2 cleaned) for my O2 bottle. They have never freeflowed, unlike the APEKS are sometimes prone to do.

triton:

at the moment, i have just two first stages and two second stages. i use an
h-valve when cavern or intro cave diving (that's my highest level). but when
i have to use aluminum 80's, i have to do exactly as you say and consolidate
my two first stages into one (with primary, backup, spg, bc hose, and now
dry suit hose)

i've done this a while, and the parts are beginning to wear. also, i'm worried
about the effect of dirt, etc. on the theads, hoses, etc.

so i figured for a little bit of money i could just have a dedicated open water
rig that can double as a backup for overhead.

it's worth it to me not to have to fiddle with the things (i have an allergy on my
fingers which breaks out every once in a while and it makes handling things
uncomfortable to painful)

triton94949:
It is not balanced, therefore I would not recommend using it deeper than 60 ft.

i think this may be the key here, thank you

H2Andy:
triton:

at the moment, i have just two first stages and two second stages. i use an
h-valve when cavern or intro cave diving (that's my highest level). but when
i have to use aluminum 80's, i have to do exactly as you say and consolidate
my two first stages into one (with primary, backup, spg, bc hose, and now
dry suit hose)

i've done this a while, and the parts are beginning to wear. also, i'm worried
about the effect of dirt, etc. on the theads, hoses, etc.

so i figured for a little bit of money i could just have a dedicated open water
rig that can double as a backup for overhead.

it's worth it to me not to have to fiddle with the things (i have an allergy on my
fingers which breaks out every once in a while and it makes handling things
uncomfortable to painful)

I have not noticed any problems with wear Andy during the 4 years that I have been consolidating. I use each of my 1st stages occasionally for NDL applications, so that I can be sure they are each function properly at all times. Once or twice I have caught a 1st stage misbehaving on an NDL dive, if ever so slightly, and have then taken it in to the shop for a tune up. Normally each time the shop technician has spotted a problem that he did not know was there before. Half the time is was a problem that the shop technician caused himself last time he serviced it. And its not just the service tech. I have had this happen with 2 different service techs each of which was quite good.

Those are the benefits of consolidation between NDL and overhead diving. When you fo out on an overhead dive, you want to have tested all your gear on NDL recently beforehand.

triton94949:
I have not noticed any problems with wear Andy.

hehehe... you're probably more mechanically inclined than i am.

i have slipped the wrench a few times...

:54:

Bob3:
I'd go Apeks as well, though for an extra $40 more you can get a TX50/DS4 combo.
Heck, you're going to have the thing a long time, so buy right the first time & ya cry only once.:wink:

dang... that would be a deal

care to share where?

Back
Top Bottom