apeks or scubapro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bob3:
I'd go Apeks as well, though for an extra $40 more you can get a TX50/DS4 combo.
Heck, you're going to have the thing a long time, so buy right the first time & ya cry only once.:wink:

Exactly right. You are going to have these regs most of you life. Therefore I would go with ScubaPro period. But other divers will tell you differently, until they experience a freeflow on deco, and then they will sell their regs cheap and come over to ScubaPro eventually.

triton94949:
The SP Mk 2 is perfect for all applictions of 50 ft or shallower. Some divers even report good performance at 70 ft.

It is not balanced, therefore I would not recommend using it deeper than 60 ft.

As far as I know, unbalanced regs (1st stage) are not affected by depth any differently than balanced regs. The drop in IP occurs with low tank pressure; and with my MK2, it's VERY slight, almost unnoticable, until around 250-300psi. At that tank pressure, typically you're pretty near the surface. I've had my MK2/R190 down to 130ft and it breathed fine. Is your recomendation of not using this any deeper than 50 ft based on a negative experience you had with the reg?

I'm sure either of these would work fine; the MK2 does have the reputation of being pretty bombproof, with a very low parts count.

H2Andy:
Apeks AT20 (diaphragm) ($275)
or
Scubapro Mk2 - R190 (piston) ($175)
If you already have regulators buyt the same brand. Think about later if you might want to use the new reg for a different purpose.

I'm told that all of the Apeks first stages use the same rebuild kit. The difference is just hose routing, 1st stange performance is the same. 2nd stanges are either balaced or not ot have the adjustment or not. Later buy the ATX50 second stange and use ther 20 as an octo and you will have a setup like mine. It breaths effortlessly at 125 feet. Maybe deeper but I don't know yet.

I have 2 regulators - DS4/ATX50 ans Scubapro MK25/S600. I use apeks as the primary one and SCubapro as the back up one.
Andy - it's worth paying now a bit more for good regulators than to buy every few years a new one. I'd forget about MK2 and would get either MK25 or apeks.
Mania

triton94949:
The SP Mk 2 is perfect for all applictions of 50 ft or shallower. Some divers even report good performance at 70 ft.

You may call it a "rental reg" because it is used by students for basic open water classes to 60 ft. It is still a great reg within its range of performance. It is not balanced, therefore I would not recommend using it deeper than 60 ft.
Locally we have divers who use them to 100 ft and unles yopu are a real hoover, the air flow will be adequate. The Mk 2 first stage has a flow rate of about 90 scfm which is adequate for anything within rewcreational limits.

Balanced or not really has nothing to do with it. What will affect inhalation effort on a non-balanced reg will be tank pressure and below about 300-500 psi on a Mk 2 you will begin to notice an increase in inhalation effort. This is however not always a bad thing as it gives you an additional warning that you are almost OOA. It is an ideal trait when used on a deco bottle with no SPG as it gives you a minute or so to prepare to switch to another bottle or surface as appropriate.

If you want more performance than the Mk 2 go with a MK 16 and an R190 first stage. The dealer cost difference between the Mk 2 and Mk 16 first stages is only $40.00, so you should be able to get into one for the same money you would spend on the Apex.

well, all, thank you for your advice... very much appreciated

this has become a moot issue, since gearing up for doubles is way more expensive
than i realized... so...

that's where my cash is going

H2Andy:
that's where my cash is going
You mean no gifts this year for you Fun Club???
:D
Mania
PS. We have a proverb - a poor can't afford buying cheap shoes.

I have to put my vote in for Apeks. I have never had a problem with mine.

Since this has already degenerated into an Apeks V. Scubapro debate, I'll place my vote firmly for Scubapro based on their exceptional performance, ease of breathing, and 30 plus years reputation for excellent engineering, service and parts support and due to SP's demonstrated committment to customer service by making upgrades and improvements retro-fittable into older regs. Buy an SP reg and you have bought a reg that will serve you well for the rest of your diving career. (I still use the a Mk 3 I bought in the early 80's as a deco reg, a role it perfroms superbly.)

I'll also be open and unbiased and post the ONLY criticisms that I have of SP regs:

1) The Mk 25 /S600 commbination has a tendendcy to freeflow in very cold water (less than 40 degrees F.) when used with tanks other than low pressure tanks and SP has not yet -taken sufficient action to give it the same bullet proof performance in extremely cold as the Mk 2 and Mk 16.

2) The X650 second stage performs well enough by most standards but does not come close to matching the performance of the D400 it replaced.

3) SP went with cheap $5.00 plastic cases like everyone else.

You will get lots of opinions on each side of the argument so you will just have to weigh them according to who promotes the opinon and how informed or experienced they may be. As well as perhaps by how close they admit to living to the "knife edge of reality". :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom