Apeks - Nothing to gain

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I found this on another Scuba forum:

"All Apeks regs use the same service kits, therefore most of the difference between models is cosmetic. I don't use apeks these days - but I've used a ATX50/ATX40 setup before, and it was excellent. If I had to buy fresh regs I would probably go for these. I think the majority of folk here who dive apeks regs regularlly would agree there is not much gain in having the 100, 200 versions, even with the ATX 200 at depth."

I know that it's true about the service kits, but you don't get much with the higher ATX models? The part that got me is "most of the difference between models is cosmetic".

I'm just wondering since I just got a ATX 200 with ATX 50 octo and it's suppose to be the "Flagship of Apeks".

I think the differences are in the first stages—I can barely tell the difference between the ATX200, ATX100 and ATX50 second stages.

Lil' Irish Temper:
I know that it's true about the service kits, but you don't get much with the higher ATX models? The part that got me is "most of the difference between models is cosmetic".

I'm just wondering since I just got a ATX 200 with ATX 50 octo and it's suppose to be the "Flagship of Apeks".

You have a great regulator set! The one thing to be aware of is the need for high O2 kits if you are going above 40%. There IS a difference!

Even if there would be a difference in the breathing effort, it would be so little that a human would not notice the difference. You would need to connect it to a machine in order to even notice it.
Strange thing though, the more expensive the reg, the easier it is breathing according to many user but IMO, it's rather the perception of the user.
In the end, who would like to admit that they paid couple hundred $$$ more for a reg that breathes the same as it's "little brother" :wink:

There is no difference when it comes to the internal workings of the first stage. The parts kit is the same for the ATX 50 as it would be for the 200. The only real difference I see is hose routing for doubles. The ATX 200 definately routes hoses better than the ATX 50.

I have five Apeks FST first-stages (Flatheads) with the TX-100 second-stages. I bought them to do deep diving. I looked for a regulator that had the best rating at the deepest depth in Navy tests. That was the one, and they were right!

ppo2_diver:
There is no difference when it comes to the internal workings of the first stage. The parts kit is the same for the ATX 50 as it would be for the 200. The only real difference I see is hose routing for doubles. The ATX 200 definately routes hoses better than the ATX 50.

Bingo, routing is where the real difference is...

However, there are some other prefernces out there as well. The DS4 first stage is favored by tek divers due to the simplicity, lack of unneccessary failure points (like a swivel) and possilbly easy servicing.

The ATX 50 swivel first stage is sometimes favored as a deco stage reg due to the swivel which allows the reg hose to swing easily between the stowed and deployed positions.

I agree that the second stages are essentially the same.

For me, the ease of hose routing for both singles and doubles makes the ATX 200 first stage a nice choice, though I only own DS4s....mostly due to cost savings...

ppo2_diver:

That's a pricey little feature just to have your hose route better. :11:

I heard this story when I was staying at Atlantis in Puerto Galera. When the ATX200 was first released (with the black coating on the first stage), Apeks sent a few to John Bennett and after testing/diving with them, he refused to use them for his deep dives, preferring to use “Flathead” TX100s instead. Apparently Bennett felt that there were some performance differences at depth between the first stages.

Back
Top Bottom