Apeks Hose Protectors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I install hose protectors without the tool by soaking them in really hot water. It softens them up pretty well. It also works for taking them back off. I personally don't use hose protectors because I agree that they hide the problem rather than prevent them. I have the same hoses that were with the reg when I bought in '98 with no problem. As long as you take care to store them properly they shouldn't kink and cause a problem. I also spray them down now and then with a food grade silicone spray to keep them clean and soft.

Scott

Bob3:
If you like the idea of the added insurance of a hose protector, I suggest getting some of the OCEANIC ones. They're considerably smaller and more flexable (sic) than your average protector, being made out of rubber instead of vinyl. They're extremely easy to slide out of the way for your pre-dive inspection & post dive rinsing.

I concur with the idea of using Oceanic hose protectors—they are very small. I have used them on my ATX200 with no problems.

detroit diver:
Most people don't use the hose protectors because they don't use the 1/2" hose port. The 1/2 inch size is a basta*d size, and if you need to swap it out on a dive trip you will have one heck of a time finding a hose that size.
I asked the same question recently and was told that the "right" :wink: answers would be to either (1) close off the 1/2" port or (2) make sure to have a spare 1/2" replacement hose in your dive bag.

detroit diver:
If your hoses are routed properly, strain should not be a problem. Covering up a joint is a problem that you might not see until it's too late.
The same guy sent me emailed pics of one of GI3's setups that has the Oceanic hose protectors on it to help with the hose strain coming of the first stages. I'd post them but I got the feeling everyone and their brother has already seen them on one of GI3's websites somewhere.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom