Apeks DS4 alternatives for rebreathers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mr_v

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Howdy folks,

The stories about DS4 HP seat failures make me think about possible alternatives to DS4 regs in rebreather setups. If you swapped out DS4 for something else, what did you choose and why?

Thank you!

I swapped my Scuba Force 1st stages for a look-alike Dive Rite FT1s. Because I can service them.
I would swap out Apex regs for the same reason.

I should have added: I need a stage I can blank to avoid pressure compensation. Can you blank FT1s, @sea_ledford ?

For us with M or H rebreathers we need ones that are not balanced

I should have added: I need a stage I can blank to avoid pressure compensation. Can you blank FT1s, @sea_ledford ?
You can blank any diaphragm reg. There just may not be a specific kit available for it.
A 50 cent piece and a belt sander will blank an ft1. Plus it looks kind of cool.

the fathom cap is supposed to work also for mk17/h3, but the apeks seat failures seem to have come and gone with one batch and i haven't heard more recent reports

Worked for a very popular shop during the HP "seat failure issue" and never experienced this with over 300 apeks first stages over the course of 3 years. It seemed to be a very isolated issue, if it even was one at all. That being said, the blanking caps are different between the mk17 and Apeks 1st stages, and will not work for each other.

the fathom cap is supposed to work also for mk17/h3, but the apeks seat failures seem to have come and gone with one batch and i haven't heard more recent reports

It won't work on the MK17, they are a completely different size. Martin at TecMe did a run of blanking plates for the MK17, you may be able to ask him nicely to make one for you.

Worked for a very popular shop during the HP "seat failure issue" and never experienced this with over 300 apeks first stages over the course of 3 years. It seemed to be a very isolated issue, if it even was one at all. That being said, the blanking caps are different between the mk17 and Apeks 1st stages, and will not work for each other.
It may be very isolate but it is an issue. I have one right now for my fathom inflation that blew while on vacation.
To the op: on my wife’s fathom we switched her oxygen reg to the halcyon diaphragm reg and bought the blanking plugs online. I think from narced at 90 but I’d have to go look at my old emails to confirm.
There are so many things I personally hate about apeks regs especially coming from using scubapro my whole life. I was excited to try the oaks that came with my fathom, but both my wife and I will never own apeks again. Literally the only part of the fathom I hate

Edit: thanks Ken. Martin at tecme is where I got the plugs

Back
Top Bottom