Apeks ATX50 vs Mares Abyss 2005

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AC Boy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Thinking of getting my first reg set, any idea which is better? I'll probably stay recreational and I'm looking for something that hopefully will last me for a long while.

I've seen both and I like the swivel feature of the Apeks 1st stage, and the adjustable air flow of the ATX 50. However, in terms of design, must admit the Abyss wins.

Would appreciate a second opinion before making a decision. Thanks in advance! :06:

AC Boy:
Thinking of getting my first reg set, any idea which is better? I'll probably stay recreational and I'm looking for something that hopefully will last me for a long while.

I've seen both and I like the swivel feature of the Apeks 1st stage, and the adjustable air flow of the ATX 50. However, in terms of design, must admit the Abyss wins.

Would appreciate a second opinion before making a decision. Thanks in advance! :06:

I'm not sure what you mean "in terms of design the Abyss wins" unless you think being pretty or cool will help your diving. :crafty: Personelly, I'm an Apeks fan. I've used a TX100 for years and aside from a few scratches and nicks it is fantastic. I wouldn't trade it for anythink that I've found yet except for possibly the 50, and that's just because of the swivel first stage.

When I was buying me my regs I had a similar dilema. Only I was thinking TX100 Vs. Abyss (Fairly similar first stage design what concerns port positioning).
After trying them both in the water, I bought the Abyss as it was the better breather in my opinion. I liked the fact that it felt more solid than the Apeks and that it has a metal second stage. I as well did like the fact that it was a better breather without any adjustments.
The new Mares Abyss 2nd stage is one ugly sucker though IMO.

I just bought an ATX 50 last weekend for my very first reg (and ATX 20 for backup)! This is after TONS of research. Can't wait to play with it.

Mike

Don't buy a reg based upon two things

1. what it looks like

2. internet message boards

Why?

Well, firstly you need a reg that you are happy with. Most good LDSs will let you try a reg before you buy, some don't however. Different makes of reg breath differently. So the first recomendation I have is to at least try breathing from them at the surface (in the shop) and dive them if you can.

Perhaps the most important other factor is service. Regs ought to be regularly serviced. Which brands do your dive buddys use? who services their regs? what is the service they get like?

And, as for intenet boards, we all have our favourite regs, and a lot of people out there haven't tried many other brands so are not perhaps the best people to compare different brands.

Personally I dive Apeks (old TX40 and TX50) and have never had a single problem with them, however, I have not touched a Mares Abyss, so I can't compare them.

All I can say is give them a try.

JonT

AC Boy:

Greetings AC Boy!

IMHO, either reg is an excellent one. I have some dive buddies that use the Apeks, and they are very statisfied with it. I personally have the Abyss 2004 model, and it is quite a wonderful regulator.

The reason I got the Abyss was it's ease of breathing at any depth in any environment in any position. I have had it in very cold water and very warm water. No difference whatsoever.

I would suggest that you try out both regs in the water and see which one works for you. Don't just get in the water for a few minutes. Stay in there for the length of a full dive. See how your mouth feels after each one. And a word of advice.... try one reg one day, go home, and try the other the next day. Talk to the shop about the maintenance of the regs.

Hope this helps!

Randy Cain

Which one has more widely available parts in your area? Worldwide? I personally have 5 Apeks regs. I'd go with the DS4 first stage. The swivel isn't necessary. My buddy has a Mares. Great breather. Only one shop in our area that carries parts. Good luck with your purchase. I'm sure you will like either one....

I've got the oposite problem. Only one shop in the area that carries Apex, and they don't recommend them. Most people I dive with have Mares or Poseidon. I have the Abyss, and half my buddies have the same.

Back
Top Bottom