Apeks ATX40 vs. TX40 octo opinions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mstevens

Toadfish. Splendid is implied but not guaranteed.
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I just got some regs I'd ordered by phone from a place that many others here apparently use. I ordered 2 sets of Apeks ATX200's with ATX40 octos (they'd tried to steer me to the AT20, but I insisted). My regs got here today, and they have TX40 octos on them.

I'm a bit cheesed off with the dealer after phoning about the problem. He was sure I'd said TX40's (which I hadn't researched since they don't appear on Apeks's website) and insisted the only difference was a larger exhaust tee on the TX40 and went on to say the ATX40's were extremely new and in short supply so they can't get them, and "all the tech divers" prefer the TX40 anyway. This is the same guy who said if I ordered Apeks's from Spain I'd get some martian version that would not be repairable in the US. I'm sure they'd take them back, but since I negotiated a package price I'm sure he's going to say the ATX200's were pricey and the TX40's cheap when it comes to a refund. I paid $529 for each set, so I certainly don't feel as if I was robbed. I suspect I could get $89 each refunded for the TX40 octos. Our old friend Leisurepro wants $135 each for ATX40 octos and charges more for the AT20's than I paid for the TX40's.

There's a pretty big part of me that just wants what I ordered. I researched backup second stages carefully because I dive with people I care about and want something that's going to work properly if needed. I also liked the smaller size and weight. And the cool glow-in-the-dark cover. On the other hand, I can't imagine this version is total crap and wonder if it's really worth the fight or the extra $45 apiece. Plus I'm going on a dive trip soon and would need to get these returned and others obtained from someplace in time.

Opinions would be welcomed. I need to decide pretty quickly what to do.

MStevens,
Those regs will be fine - I have a TX50 as primary long hose and ATX40 as backup. The TX50 is bigger and feels more comfortable for me. Although some people talk about more bubbles from the ATX series I personally felt that the difference was negligible. I had a freeflow on my backup reg a couple of months back and even then the bubbles stream wasn't too bad (the cause of the freeflow BTW was unknown - there was no evidence of any issue when it was serviced after the freeflow). Both regs breathe the same I cannot detect any difference whatsoever.
I haven't used the AT20s but I have used the T20 in cold water and again I didn't notice any difference.

MStevens

The regs will be fine, although you asked for ATX, so that what you should have gotten. We use the ATX40/40 as a setup in our school, reason being the TX range has been dis-continued and the ATX have replaced them. So i'd get back onto the retailer and tell him that you want what you ordered.

Dave

ATX40's are not "Extremely new." They've been out for years.

The ATX40 is a much smaller second stage than the TX40.

I dive TX40's, but I'd much rather have an ATX40 as a backup since it's so much less bulky.

Demand what you paid for, or get a total refund and go somewhere else.

BTW all of my Apeks regs have come either from Germany or Spain and there's nothing different about them vs the American ones.. I've serviced them with American parts kits and bought a replacement part or two.

Your LDS is screwing you.

I think a ATX40 matches better in term of appearance with your ATX200, because they will look better than having a "bigger & heavier" ATX40 to a "smaller & lighter" ATX200. Less 25 percent, means less weight and jaw fatigue..... :11:

I agreed with jonnythan, get a total refund and go somewhere else.

I think your LDS is very dishonest, maybe he is trying to clear those left over less demanding stocks........

In my country, Singapore even the agent here hardly have any TX series, he said more people are after the newer ATX series for sure........

To reiterate what I said earlier, the LDS is probably trying to get rid of whatever old TX regulators they have left because no one wants to buy them. They gave you one, for full price of a new regulator, and made a killing off of it. I'd probably not even give them the chance to make things right after they pulled one like that over on me.

Despicable.

MStevens,

I would at least demand a further discount if you decide you can live with the TX40's. No risk to your loved ones as the TX40's are well proven.

You might also want to give Brian Pallock at DiveSource (www.divesource.com) a call. Although he's in Canada, he carries Apeks (often in stock) and may have ATX40's (or whole sets) that he can get to you in time.

kityip:
I think a ATX40 matches better in term of appearance with your ATX200, because they will look better than having a "bigger & heavier" ATX40 to a "smaller & lighter" ATX200. Less 25 percent, means less weight and jaw fatigue..... :11:
My TX50/TX40 don't seem to be heavier underwater, which is what counts. YMMV.

Minor threadjack, there are definitely people who still want the TX50/TX40's, though that would probably change if Apeks would ever get a clue and start making wider exhaust tees for the ATX second stages.

jonnythan:
Your LDS is screwing you.

This is actually an internet dealer located in Canada. For some bizarre reason, they insist they can't get ATX40 octos. Since they charged just about what DiveInn in Spain does for the ATX200 I'll be keeping those and returning the octos. I'll likely order ATX40 octos for $30 more from DiveInn. I'm sure the TX40's are quite decent regs, but I don't see the point in lugging around anything heavier or larger than I need to.

Back
Top Bottom