Apeks ATX40 vs Aqualung Legend Supreme

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chuffy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have 2 LDS'. One sells the Apeks ATX40 and the other the legend Supreme. The prices are about the same and I was wondering what peoples opinions of each are?

I know a lot of people speak highly of the legend and Apeks have a reputation for being bullit proof. I don't particulary desire the breathing resistance adjuster, hence not a LX v ATX50 decision.

I will mainly be doing warm water diving in Thailand (twice daily for 5 months!), but I wish to keep my options open to allow me to dive in the UK as well.

Thanks in advance.

It is a coin toss. They are both great regs. Apex has less parts, Legend is an Apex clone with Aqualung parts. The new Legend has a device that prevents water from entering the first stage if you accidentally drop it in the water while rinsing it,without the dust cap on. I would buy a reg from the LDS that you like best. If that is not an issue, back to the coin toss.

Jim

Since the legend is a clone I would go with the original. Also less parts, less parts to buy when having it serviced.

I agree with eelpout...you may wish to rethink the adj.....doing the number of dives in that period may.. and I say may... get your reg out of adj a bit being able to adj the second stage some in case it pushs a little will get you by longer untill you can get it serviced....must be nice to get to do all that diving, in warm water even....
Yarg

From my research (don't own one yet), both are very good. I've decided to go with the Legend Supreme LX with the new ACD on the 1st stage. I'll be purchasing one in April. I'd suggest you do a search. There are several threads dedicated to both AL Legend and Apeks.

I have found a website in the UK that could save me £70 on the legend and a cool £150 on the ATX40. I could also get an ATX50 2nd stage with ATX40 Octo for £20 more.

Looks like I may go with the ATX50 & ATX40 Oct. That would be £140 cheaper than the ATX40 set from my LDS.

So, unless you're doing your own servicing AND are pretty absent minded, why does having fewer parts really matter? Fundamentally, it's the same design. Oh, and Apeks service kits are typically more expensive to the dealer, despite having fewer parts in the kit.

Honestly, if I didn't have to worry about cold water issues, I wouldn't use either overpriced regulator.

Zaphod:
Honestly, if I didn't have to worry about cold water issues, I wouldn't use either overpriced regulator.

Would you like to justify that statement? What reg would you use?

I'm not having a go, i'm just interested as to why you feel the ATX40 & Legend Supreme are over priced.

mike_s:
Call Phil at Dive Sports (http://www.divesports.com). 800-601-DIVE. He sells both the Apeks and the Aqualung and can help you decide. Either way, both are great regulators. I bought a Aqualung Legend LX Supreme from him

I live in the UK, so that rules that out! I have however bought an ATX50/ATX40 combo.
2 of my LDS sell & swear by the Legends, and 1 sells and swears by the Apeks. In the end I bought the Apeks from another place in the UK for £200 less than the sets at any of my LDS'. That made the decision for me. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom