Apeks ATX40 (DS4) vs XTX100 (FST)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Daikan

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi guys,

Been reading the forum for a while and finally decided to participate :)

Anyway, so I finally decided to buy a new reg and I had already decided on buying an Apeks ATX40 x2 set (DS4 1st stage), seemed enough for me, being a recreational diver, good price and excellent reviews.
What happened is that I found in the same online store, a XTX100+XTX40 (FST 1st stage) reg set for just 100EUR (110USD) more, and I started to think "hey, here's a good deal"... The thing is that it is the old model, pre-2014.

So, 2 questions:

- What's the difference between the old XTX100 and the new? 1st and 2nd stage wise... Does the old model also come with the DCE exhaust thing?

- Do you think it is worth buiyng the XTX100 over the ATX40 given this price difference?

Cheers everyone!

I would go with the XTX100 package. There are a few differences. The first and second stages are nearly identical internally, they used the same maintenance kit. The biggest difference in first stage is the hose routing, both will route fine for single tank diving. The FST might route a little better for the single tank configuration.

The second stages is where you hit most of the differences. The XTX series has a changeable exhaust T, there is a small and a large size. The XTX100 will also have a breathing resistance adjustment knob, while the 40s will not be adjustable.

From what I know, the old versus new XTX100 is mostly cosmetic changes, I am not aware of any structural changes.

My opinion is to go with the XTX100.

my opinion is neither. The DST sets route much better for singles/doubles/sidemount. XTX over ATX especially at that price difference, but those prices are nuts. The 100/200's are just not worth the premium over the 50's. The second stages are identical except for some chrome, and the first stages don't offer anything meaningful.

DS4/XTX50 Doubles Package - Dive Right in Scuba

They strengthened up the plastic in the casing where the spindle sits. Newer, post 2013, FST, FSR and DST can be fitted with a 5th port. Yes, they still use the same DCE, athough I believe only the XTX 200 comes with both small and wide exhausts. In the main the differences are mostly cosmetic as posted above. The adjustment knob on the newer XTX 50, 100 and 200 has be changed and is now a little smoother and a little easier to use with gloves.

I prefer the purge button on the older XTX. I own both newer and older FSR/XTX50s. I added the 5th port to my newer FSR and using a 40" under arm primary with swivel it routes nicer than the non 5th port version. The conversion takes about 3 minutes + testing. I've also owned the ATX 40, could not tell the difference breathing from any of them. The purge button on the ATX IMO is better than both XTX versions especially when wearing thick drysuit gloves.

I did convert my ATX 40s to ATX 50s, adding adjuster, but as I used factory parts it was a little spendy and in the scheme of things not really necessary.

Personally if he price difference is significant or matters to you I'd buy the ATX 40s. In my opinion they are a better made reg (second stage) the plastic is a little thicker/heavier. As also posted above same service kits for all save the Flight and again save the Flight, in my experience if equally tuned all breathe the same. For single tank back mount the DS4 IMO routes fine. Good luck.

---------- Post added August 3rd, 2015 at 09:44 AM ----------

Welcome to SB, I'm sure it'll end spinning your head and costing you lots of money...:D

Last edited:
Seems to depend on retailer, I've bought XTX50s and some came with both and some only one.

---------- Post added August 3rd, 2015 at 09:55 AM ----------

And yes you are correct in that the 20 and 40 only come with one with the option to buy the other.

---------- Post added August 3rd, 2015 at 09:59 AM ----------

From memory the last set of XTX50 2nds I bought from DRIS only came with one set.

---------- Post added August 3rd, 2015 at 10:00 AM ----------

I guess easy way is to check prior to purchase.

Have been using a DS4 for 18yrs for rec diving and everything is fine. I also have a DST but only use it as dec tank and do not find the 5th port has any use in rec dive. However, DST has 2 HP ports which would be useful if you want to run a spg and a transmitter..
As far as I am concern, the FST(100) sits in a no man land once FSR(200) made its appearance. The FSR is the only model comes with an replaceable valve seat and the latest model is also compatible to the 5th port.
The adjusting screw on the 2nd stage is nice but doesn't worth the extra US$110.00. DIY if you can source the part. Unfortunately, you might find it difficult nowadays even in Europe eg. Scuba spare will no longer sell you apeks spare unless you are a registered Apeks technician!!!!!! Anyone know a reputable Apeks spare parts supplier? Please send me a pm. Much appreciated.

Have been using a DS4 for 18yrs for rec diving and everything is fine. I also have a DST but only use it as dec tank and do not find the 5th port has any use in rec dive. However, DST has 2 HP ports which would be useful if you want to run a spg and a transmitter..
As far as I am concern, the FST(100) sits in a no man land once FSR(200) made its appearance. The FSR is the only model comes with an replaceable valve seat and the latest model is also compatible to the 5th port.
The adjusting screw on the 2nd stage is nice but doesn't worth the extra US$110.00. DIY if you can source the part. Unfortunately, you might find it difficult nowadays even in Europe eg. Scuba spare will no longer sell you apeks spare unless you are a registered Apeks technician!!!!!! Anyone know a reputable Apeks spare parts supplier? Please send me a pm. Much appreciated.

I'll shoot you a PM tonight when I get home tonight.

I use the ATA40 seconds and they are fantastic, well made and extremly reliable. I intially used them with a DS4 diving doubles. The DS4's are now 1st stages for my deep stage cylinders. I now use Tec3 on my doubles with ATA40 as backup.

The 5th port conversion on the DST is worth it especially if you dive with a long hose which can be routed str8 down.

The exhaust tee are nice on the newer 2nd, but you dont know what you dont know.

PM sent.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom