Apeks ATX200?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaVP

Reaction score
Normal, IL USA (yes, that is a real city)
Hello all. This is my first post to this board, so I will keep things short.

I am a fairly new diver (approx. 30 dives), and I am looking to get the Apeks ATX200 regulator. Is this regulator actually as great as you all claim?

My fiance and I are both AOW divers and will finish up Rescue and Master Scuba Diver certs next summer. I am looking for something that will work in both cold and warm water. I am from the midwest and do quite a bit of freshwater diving. We also plan on taking a trip once a year to someplace warmer!

I also plan on performing my own maintence and repair on this regulator. Do any of you have experience with this? I am very mechanically inclined and am quite confident that I can accomplish this task.

Thank you all for your help!

Two that I use for doubles, and a singles setup. I think they're fantastic, and noticeably better breathing than my TX50/DST, which is still a great reg.

I'd invest in a $20 p.o.s. off eBay and practice regulator maintenance on something cheaper though! Getting hold of the rebuild kits will be a major stumbling block in terms of doing your own maintenance, as well as a small investment in some regulator tools, IP gauges, etc.

And welcome to ScubaBoard!

Thanks for such a quick response! I never really thought about picking up a P.O.S. off of eBay to practice on...that is a great idea!

Have you experienced any 'wet breathing' tendancies with yours?

ScubaVP once bubbled...
Have you experienced any 'wet breathing' tendancies with yours?
Haven't thought about it actually, but haven't noticed it either. On Sunday we were diving with some sealions, and I did do some diving on my back, looking up at the surface, as well as doing some barrel rolls while trying to keep up with the sealions :) Plenty of opportunitites for the reg to breathe wet, but it didn't. Mind you, I wasn't paying close attention to see if it was though - I'd have to try it again to be positive.

But... I am a new diver and have nothing to compare it to but rental equipment. I use my ATX200 with ATX200 first, and ATX40 backup. I have not noticed breathing wet. I also have been inverted while playing with sea lions. :)

It's pretty darn good. I've gotten to try quite a few regs, but generally not enough to really assess minute differences.

I dive a TX50, which I converted to an ATX50. I bought an ATX200 and was planning on letting the wife dive the ATX50. Well, silly me. I didn't bother switching every thing over, so I just let her use the ATX200. I can't get it back.

As far as maintenance goes, you will need the drawings and be able to buy parts kits. This is usually only available to dive shops or authorized techs. I have seen places on the net where you can download tech manuals.

As for tools try Scuba Tools

or Northeast Scuba Supply

and of course you will need the "Bible". I've taken repair tech class, but the book is more important on an ongoing basis.

Vance Harlow's Book

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom