Apeks ATX200

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KCShocker03

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the Apeks ATX200 is nitrox compatible? I have looked at the specs on their website and they do not say if it is. Also, the people who have this reg, how well do you like it, was it worth the money? I am considering getting this one since I am looking for a sturdy, versitle, reg. I plan on doing a lot of varieties of diving. Ice, cold water, warm, enriched air, rescue, etc. I am wanting to learn a lot. Any info would be great! thanks

Never mind on the is it compatible with nitrox, i got my answer, i just needed to read farther. But any info on the rest would be great!!

Almost all regs on the market today are Nitrox ready up to a 40% mix, don't see why the Apeks would be any different.

My buddy switched from his Poseidon Xtremes to the ATX200, he likes it.

KCShocker03:
Also, the people who have this reg, how well do you like it, was it worth the money? I am considering getting this one since I am looking for a sturdy, versitle, reg. I plan on doing a lot of varieties of diving. Ice, cold water, warm, enriched air, rescue, etc. I am wanting to learn a lot. Any info would be great! thanks

I love mine. Is it worth the money? No.

The cheaper Apeks DS4/ATX50 combination is a great reg and should serve you well. Many Apeks 1st stages are extremely similar internally. The ATX50, 100, 200 second stages are identical except for the different cosmetic front cover.

As Vie said, the Apeks regulators are mostly the same. As for the first stages the DS4, DST, ATX50, ATX100, ATX200, and Black Pearl first stages are essentially the same in performance. The differences between these first stages are cosmetic. The hose routing on some is fixed while on others there is a swivel turret. There are external finish differences, port placement, number of ports, and size of one of the low pressure port differences, but the internal workings are the same.

The same holds true for the various second stages. The ATX series second stages have different cosmetic front covers but the same internal parts, so long as you are comparing apples to apples. By this I mean if you are looking at two second stages and they are the same size and both have cracking pressure adjustment dials on them, then they are the same. Apeks does make TX series second stages that are a little larger than the ATX series second stages, of course the physical size will make these a little different, but they are essentially the same. Apeks also makes some second stages in the ATX and TX series without the cracking pressure adjustment, these will of course have this difference separating them from the second stages with the knob.

So, a less expensive DS4 first stage paired with ATX50 second stages will perform the same as the more expensive ATX200 set. The differences are the ATX200 has two high pressure ports, a single 1/2 inch low pressure port and three 3/8 inch low pressure ports, and the basic shape with three ports coming off of one side and the other 3 from the other. The DS4 has only one high pressure port, all low pressure ports are 3/8 inch and the ports come off of the fundamentally circular first stage at fixed positions.

If you want to spend the money on the ATX200 there are valid reasons to do so, but fundamental performance differences are not among them, this regulator will not deliver more air faster or at a greater depth than the lower priced DS4.

Mark Vlahos

I have a pair of ATX200's. They breath really well! They are comfortable in the mouth and work well in warm and cold conditions.

That said - what I don't like about them is that they breath wet. Whenever I go head down or supine I get a bit of sea water in my mouth. My other non Apeks regs are perfectly dry, so I prefer them. Just based on that - I won't be buying more of them.

OE2X:
I have a pair of ATX200's. They breath really well! They are comfortable in the mouth and work well in warm and cold conditions.

That said - what I don't like about them is that they breath wet. Whenever I go head down or supine I get a bit of sea water in my mouth. My other non Apeks regs are perfectly dry, so I prefer them. Just based on that - I won't be buying more of them.

I have a TX 100 second stage and an ATX 200 second stage - I really prefer the TX 100 as - it is a little more bulky, but the bubbles are vented away from your field of vision better in all postitions. I think that it breathes a little dryer when head down or upside down. I carry my back-up second stage on a bungee around my neck and prefer the smaller ATX 200 for this. Both breathe way better (IMO) than the scuba pros that I had or any of the rental regs I've used.

Jackie

Excellent reg. If you don't have a wireless computer DS4/ATX50 or DS4/TX50 are cheaper and you don't have to deal with the 1/2 port issue on the ATX200.

darkstar:
Excellent reg. If you don't have a wireless computer DS4/ATX50 or DS4/TX50 are cheaper and you don't have to deal with the 1/2 port issue on the ATX200.

Why is a WiFi PDC an issue with those 1st stages?

The DS4 only has one HP port, and a lot of people using the wireless (it's not WiFi, but I'm picky like that :wink:) transmitters use analog SPGs as backup. The DS4 doesn't allow this since that requires a second HP port.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom