Apeks AT20?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pepperbelly

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am still thinking hard about replacing my Oceanic reg set.
I found an Apeks AT20 for sale at what I think is a good price. It's used and first and second stage only.
I don't dive in cold water- 50* and up for me, preferably above 60*.
I mostly dive local lakes and quarries here in North Texas, but I will be taking my regs when I dive the Caribbean again- no more rental regs.

Tell me about this Apeks.

I guess I want to know if they are worth getting to replace my Oceanic PX2 and Delta2. If it's about the same then there is no need. I have had several people tell me there is no need to upgrade, but I also read about the newer regs being better and divers upgrading their regs.
I know mine isn't junk but I want good, not simply good enough.

Basically the same answers as before in your other threads.

If you get your current regs properly tuned, there shouldn't be any meaningful different given the diving you do.

BTW, pretty good deal for $50. Condition unknown though. Non-adjustable 2nd stage.

I'd probably grab it for a pony.

I will admit that when I saw the Apeks name and the price he is asking I thought it was a no brainer. I always like a bargain on good quality stuff.
Reading a little on it the AT20 seems to be an entry level reg.

He says it was last serviced 5 years ago.
If it isn't a lot better than what I have now I don't need it.
If you can use it on a pony rig go for it.

ok look, this is very simple, and the AT20 is not an "entry level reg" it is just as good as the XTX50-100-200's that are higher up on the pecking order. Disclaimer, I don't consider the Apeks flight a real regulator, so when I say the rest of Apeks, it's excluding that one

The first stage is a US4 which is identical to the DS4 except it isn't sealed. DS4 is one of the gold standards in technical diving and has been for 20 years. It is functionally identical to the DST's which the whole razor sidemount crowd is drooling over as well as the Tek3's. The US4/DS4 is also a standard oxygen regulator on many rebreathers....You want it sealed? No big deal, you can get it upgraded if you want to for not that much money, but there's no need to. Yes it only has one HP port, but why do you need two? If you don't trust your AI, don't use it, or just call the dive if it sh!ts the bed. It uses the same parts kits as all of the Apeks

The AT20 second stage is basically identical to the ATX50/100/200 except it doesn't have the cold water heat sink, and doesn't have a user adjustment knob. Adjustment knobs are nice to have and you can upgrade to the adjustable if you want, it's not that expensive. Other than that it is the same as the ATX series, and other than not being able to be swapped left/right and have the exhaust t's swapped around, it's basically the same as the XTX50/100/200 second stages.

All apeks regs use the same parts kit, they have 4 total parts kits. 2 for the firsts, 2 for the seconds, one is O2 compatible, the other isn't. It's not an entry level reg, and for $50, you can't argue with that price. You'll probably spend $100 getting it serviced, but after that it won't need it for 4-5 years if you take care of it and make sure to clean it properly after the salty stuff, and you're still in for a damn cheap price.

My T20 which is older than AT20 is nearly 20yrs old and it is normally hung just below my chin on tec dive.
I believe UST is usually couple with AT20 but I could be wrong. But as explained very clearly already all Apeks regs are more or less the same internally except the Freight.
The US4 and UST are non sealed and it is highly recommended to rinse it thoroughly after salt water dive. Particular attention should be made to rinse through the hole(spring adjuster) of the 1st stage. But make sure not to disturb the adjuster because it will alter the IP setting!! Salt is known to accumulate around the spring and affect its function!!
US$50.00 for this set! How come nobody selling them at that price in HK?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom