Apeks 2nd stage purge performance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a side note, just because it came set up from the factory doesn't mean it's set up correctly. I bought two new G260s from a SP dealer, one was cracking at 1.8" and other 1.6" IIRC. The first thing I do when ever I buy a reg, first or second stage, is hook it up and check its specs. IME they are ok from factory, i.e within spec, around 50% of the time. QC it seems is going the way of the dinosaurs.

Thank you all for your help and input.

I didn't get round to checking the IP but since it seemed like it most probably was a lever height issue I went ahead and adjusted it and it works! I tested it and dived in the pool with it and tomorrow I will test it at depth.

Another little indicator test you can do is turn pre dive switch to max and hit the purge button, it should violently freeflow. Turn the pre dive switch to minimum and press the purge button, it should stop free flowing once you stop pressing. If at depth is starts to leak a little just turn adjuster in. If it's unstable i.e leaks throughout your dive it means you've likely got the lever right on the edge of height or a fraction too high and you can drop it a tad or, assuming it can be tuned out with a minor adjustment of the adjuster screw, leave it as is.

Thank you all for your help and input.

I didn't get round to checking the IP but since it seemed like it most probably was a lever height issue I went ahead and adjusted it and it works! I tested it and dived in the pool with it and tomorrow I will test it at depth.

Please post back after you've taken it out for a dive.

Just a reminder since the OP appears to be a novice reg tuner, unlike the rest of you guys.

The physics are dead simple.
But the tolerances are very fine.
The difference in orifice position for the Apex T50 between hard to breathe and freeflowing can be as little as 15-30 degrees (one TWELFTH of a turn). So I would caution the OP not to be frustrated when a lever height adjustment that fixes the purge volume yields a second stage that breathes completely differently than before.

It's an easy fix once you get the knack, but it's also very easy to end up with an uncomfortably stiff, or worse, freeflowing second stage if you're trying this just from reading a manual. Keep talking with the guys on the forum, and it'll all work out.

But maybe don't dive that reg until you're sure.

Jes sayin'...

Please post back after you've taken it out for a dive.

Happy to announce that I took it out for a dive down to 14 meters and it all works fine. It breaths well, free flows if flipped on its back and stops as soon as put it face down.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom