Apeks 2nd stage purge performance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seefa

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have 2 apeks DST first stages each with 2 xtx50 second stages and have noticed that each of the second stages performs differently when depressing the purge button to the side (for a slow purge to inflate bags and the like).

2 second stages attached to one DST release some air when the button is pressed from its side

The octopus on the other DST releases less air than the ones attached to the first DST and the primary does not release any air at all when the button is depressed in the exact same way as the other 3 second states I have.

Is noticeable variation between identical regulators and setups normal?

Is there a potential issue with my first or second stage?

I contacted the shop I bought it from and their response was that the regulators are assembled and tested in the factory and so are unlikely to be faulty but I am not very convinced.

Any advice or pointers would be appreciated!

Thanks.

What he said. Lever (second stage) is likely too low on the low purge one. It's a 3 minute fix for a competent tech. Pretty poor response from the LDS, a kinda "we can't be bothered"...

Last edited:
Unfortunately for me half decent LDSes are pretty much none existent here, they have poor service and old and very overpriced stock so I have to make my purchases online and that's what I did here.

If it's a 3 minute fix on the second stage I'm happy to do it myself.

How can I confirm that the first stage is fine though?

Are there any guides for how I can adjust the lever? I'm reasonably competent with tools and can follow instructions better than the average monkey.

Thanks!

Unfortunately for me half decent LDSes are pretty much none existent here, they have poor service and old and very overpriced stock so I have to make my purchases online and that's what I did here.

If it's a 3 minute fix on the second stage I'm happy to do it myself.

How can I confirm that the first stage is fine though?

Are there any guides for how I can adjust the lever? I'm reasonably competent with tools and can follow instructions better than the average monkey.

Thanks!

Massage me your email address.

The Orifice likely needs to be turned out a fraction. It can be accessed by removing the hose. Ensure you depress the purge when turning the orifice to avoid cutting into the seat. This is done unpressurized.

Last edited:
If you have an ip gauge hook it up to the first stage and check ip should be stable after purging between 9-10 bar at full tank pressure. If it is, then most likely your first stage is fine. It's hard to diagnose with certainty over the internet but I'd put money on the issue being lever height. It should be cracking (opening) at about 1-1.2" of water. Once lever height is correctly set you can fine tune the cracking effort using the micro adjuster located under the adjustment knob end cap. Screwing it in increases effort, screwing it out lowers effort.

Last edited:
http://www.frogkick.dk/manuals/apeks/XTX_rev06_08.pdf

see reassembly step 23 on page 11 and the adjustment procedure on page 12. you will need to remove the cover and diaphragm and then adjust the lever height and/or seat. since you have a poor purge, you will need to try and verify the lever height first and then maybe checking the seat adjustment. if you can't get them adjusted without having either the purge being too low or freeflow issues, you will need to check if the seat has been damaged or has too much of a set and needs replacement.

Last edited:
Thank you all so much for all the advice, input and help! You guys are awesome and this community rocks!

Here is my plan:
1. Read the manuals and focus on the bits you all kindly pointed out
2. Try to find a IP gauge as I don't want to take my second stage apart if the first stage will need sending back
3. Once I verify the first stage is performing as expected I will open the second stage and adjust the lever
4. I will update you all.

Thank you!

1. Ask the shop to remove the face plate of both 2nd stage and compare the height of the lever.
2. IP gauge is a must for any diver.

I currently have 3 Apeks second stages, and the purge performance was poor on all of them - I have buddys who have complained the same. A couple of minutes to adjust the lever height sorted it though :)

Back
Top Bottom