Apeks 1st stage and halcyon hose question.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tonyc:
GDI!,
ok hope this doesn't sound stupid- are you saying turn it 90 degrees? that way the long hose and spg are going down and the backup and inflator are going up?? If so, then that makes more sense now.

What I don't get is what are the odds an o-ring from a plugged port would blow versus the odds of the adapter going bad?? A good buddy should tell you if it loosens and you were to start bubbling.

Vodolaz
Yes.... tastes like oil. I have two regs and the reg without new hoses has no smell or taste. What did you do to get rid of that????

Tony.

Are you planning on diving doubles or a single? If doubles then all three hoses will come off the same side of the reg, the 1/2" port plugged. IF single then flip it 180 and have the long hose and the octo come off the one side with the 3/8's ports and have the inflator and HP hose for the spg come off the other side, the 1/2 port is still plugged. This way you don't need adapters or reducers and you can still use a standard 3/8's long hose. Buy a 1/2 " plug not a reducer or adapter.

Okay, I have the same rig for singles. Here's my take on the whole 3/8" versus 1/2" port debate. I use a 24" LP hose, with a 1/2" thread - and carry both a plug and an adapter in the event I need to replace the hose away from home. Hoses fail so rarely you might as well use the regulator in the configuration it was designed - there's no real benefits from plugging the port in my mind. Use the reg as designed, and worry about plugging/inverting/adapting IF something goes wrong.

tonyc:
GD

Vodolaz
Yes.... tastes like oil. I have two regs and the reg without new hoses has no smell or taste. What did you do to get rid of that????
I've been diving strictly backgas for the last several months, so I haven't used it much, other than when working on stage techniques. It's still unpleasant and I'm planning on changing it very soon.

Ok GDI, got it now. I'll order the plug.
Thanks everyone for all your help, can't wait to get it in the water!

Tony.

Hey scubaroo this is correct as well but he has the long hose with a different thread size. So either get the correct thread size or take some of these suggestions.

tonyc:
Ok GDI, got it now. I'll order the plug.
Thanks everyone for all your help, can't wait to get it in the water!

Tony.

I just used the 1/2" hose that came with the reg for the necklaced back up. I remember GI years back on Quest saying he did the same thing.

keep your old hose just in case for a back up never now beter to have old hose still be able to dive thank not !!!!!

Thanks for all the info. I've finally decided (I think :) ) to use the hose that it came with as my back-up reg hose; you're right it's only like 3 inches longer and doesn't bow out too much. I decided to make my way out to the lake today and try it out, but my dive buddy didn't show. There I stood at the water's edge, seriously contemplating a solo dive, but that's another thread altogether. Needless to say with a new reg and no redundand air source/pony, I got back in my car to drive home, I just gotta move closer to the ocean.
Tony.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom