Apeks 1st stage and halcyon hose question.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tonyc

Contributor
Reaction score
Well I'm sure it's been covered, but can't seem to find it in a search.

Just bought an apexs ATX 200/ ATX 40 and the halcyon 22" and 7 ft hose.
I'm a pretty new diver and plan on taking DIR-F in the future, but want to start doing it right... now.

My questions....

1. the primary reg port on the apeks first stage has a larger port than the halcyon hose (larger diameter). I spoke to Extreme exposure and they say flip the fist stage upside down (the two ports on the left are both compatible). However this puts the hp ports going up and the inflator hose going down??

He said you can get an adapter, but it adds one more o-ring/joint and chance for failure.

What would be the correct way to handle this?

2. I have the backup reg coming from the port closest to my head and the long hose behind it, is this correct?

3. The hoses have a funny smell coming through them, I know it's not my air. Is this normal???

Thanks,
Tony.

tonyc:
Well I'm sure it's been covered, but can't seem to find it in a search.

Just bought an apexs ATX 200/ ATX 40 and the halcyon 22" and 7 ft hose.
I'm a pretty new diver and plan on taking DIR-F in the future, but want to start doing it right... now.

My questions....

1. the primary reg port on the apeks first stage has a larger port than the halcyon hose (larger diameter). I spoke to Extreme exposure and they say flip the fist stage upside down (the two ports on the left are both compatible). However this puts the hp ports going up and the inflator hose going down??
Flip the 1st stage over. Plug the larger 1/2 " port. The 1st stage has 2 Lp ports and a HP port on each side. Use the 3/8" ports for your long hose and inflator and the HP port for your SPG. this way all three hoses are going down and you are not so spare part restricted in finding 7 ft hoses.

Long hoses with 1/2" thread are available from FifthD in Seattle.

They are, but they are not standard. If you blow a hose on vacation, you're done. I still can't figure out why Apeks does that.

The plugs work very well. There are two types- 1. a standard plug and 2. a port reducer

I think I'm just going to order the $7.00 port reducer, unless somebody really thinks that's an unsafe idea??? Yeah, it's an extra o-ring, but for an open water diver who always has a buddy is this really an issue. If I was planning a trip deep into the devil's cave system then I think I'd worry more.

anybody have any idea why the air coming through the hoses taste so funny/ smell???
THanks
Tony.

tonyc:
I think I'm just going to order the $7.00 port reducer, unless somebody really thinks that's an unsafe idea??? Yeah, it's an extra o-ring, but for an open water diver who always has a buddy is this really an issue. If I was planning a trip deep into the devil's cave system then I think I'd worry more.

anybody have any idea why the air coming through the hoses taste so funny/ smell???
THanks
Tony.

What did you have for lunch??? :cheeky:

tonyc:
I
Like a petrochemical? One of mine was like that; it was a Halcyon too, I think.

New hoses generally have a rubbery smell to them... No worries.

I use the 1/2" port with a 1/2" hose, and I carry an adapter for when I travel with that reg. I don't like how the hoses route when the reg is turned upside down for singles. I really dont think that its a big deal to use the 1/2" hose. I wouldnt use the adapter all the time though, that is an extra oring to fail...

GDI!,
ok hope this doesn't sound stupid- are you saying turn it 90 degrees? that way the long hose and spg are going down and the backup and inflator are going up?? If so, then that makes more sense now.

What I don't get is what are the odds an o-ring from a plugged port would blow versus the odds of the adapter going bad?? A good buddy should tell you if it loosens and you were to start bubbling.

Vodolaz
Yes.... tastes like oil. I have two regs and the reg without new hoses has no smell or taste. What did you do to get rid of that????

Tony.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom