AP inspiration Classic service

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

larslaw

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I bought an old AP Inspiration classic in good condition. AP advertise, that they do full service on Classic head and handsets.
Anyone had there Classic electronics for service with AP?

Be aware that there's very few spares available for the Inspiration Classic and it could be a false economy to buy one -- which is why they're so cheap, around £$€500. Examples: the "paddles" (controllers) aren't serviceable nor available (except second hand); the head isn't made, there's other bits too.

A friend of mine bought a cheap Inspiration (the one after the Classic) and it's ended up costing him more than the cost of a brand new Inspiration due to just about everything failing over the years he's had it: head, electronics, controller, lungs, loop, DSV...

Rebreathers are expensive. However if you've a newish one that is still fully supported, then it will last a long time and won't let you down. The cost can be spread over several years as you're not spending loads on fixing it.

BTW the rebreather is the start of your spending. You'll soon need more bailout cylinders (5 is common!) and spare dil+O2 for different dives, and bank cylinders for oxygen, air and helium (three old twinsets are great for this!). Then there's the shiny new heated drysuit, etc., etc. Maybe a scooter. Wonder how I know this :cool:

1724409110171.jpeg

Be aware that there's very few spares available for the Inspiration Classic and it could be a false economy to buy one -- which is why they're so cheap, around £$€500. Examples: the "paddles" (controllers) aren't serviceable nor available (except second hand); the head isn't made, there's other bits too.

A friend of mine bought a cheap Inspiration (the one after the Classic) and it's ended up costing him more than the cost of a new Inspiration due to just about everything failing over the years he's had it: head, electronics, controller, lungs, loop, DSV...

Rebreathers are expensive. However if you've a newish one that is still fully supported, then it will last a long time and won't let you down. The cost can be spread over several years as you're not spending loads on fixing it.

BTW the rebreather is the start of your spending. You'll soon need more bailout cylinders (5 is common!) and spare dil+O2 for different dives, and bank cylinders for oxygen, air and helium (three old twinsets are great for this!). Then there's the shiny new heated drysuit, etc., etc. Maybe a scooter. Wonder how I know this :cool:

the "issue" with bailout is you pay for a gas you'll never use!.... and you most likely will need to dump the gas before the next VIP for the tank! for your 100% O2 twin, do you get it boost past 200bar/3000psi?

the "issue" with bailout is you pay for a gas you'll never use!.... and you most likely will need to dump the gas before the next VIP for the tank! for your 100% O2 twin, do you get it boost past 200bar/3000psi?

You actually bother to test a tank that is "not used" and contains valuable gas?!?

Everyone knows that if you need to grab someone else's bailout, you're in for the cost of filling the tank and possibly putting it back into test!!!

I get my oxygen/trimix/air pressure up as high as possible when filling the bank cylinders, aiming for 250bar/3625.944psi when cold. This is good for filling the oxygen+diluent+suit inflate for quite a few dives.

Thanks for the very true advice.
The cheap Classic rebreather, I bought will answer the very important question: Is rebreather for me?

The guy, that sold me the rebreather used it for his level 1, loved rebreather diving and then bought a JJ.
The rebreather is in fine condition, both handsets work, although one handset is hardly visible (LCD problem). It calibrates well with 3 new cells. The loops, lungs and bcd are fine.

I did call AP to verify, that they do classic head service. They do, but spare parts might be a problem. Therefore I bought 2 extra heads and handsets. These 3 heads are now on its way to AP factory. It must be possible to swop a handset, normal wire service and solenoid service. If so, I believe I have a fine rebreather. Before diving 1st stages will be serviced. It will all together be 1.100£, if it works.

I am surprised they do service on 20+ years old electronics. Believe they have a few service tecs left from the old days enjoying servicing the Classic:)

The cheap Classic rebreather, I bought will answer the very important question: Is rebreather for me?
Good question :)

On your rebreather journey you'll find many different emotions.
  • Elation at moving over to the silent world and the small quantities of gas you use. Having the knowledge that you've got "unlimited" gas, so there's time to resolve problems such as being lost or 'stuck'.
  • Frustration at how basic skills can be so difficult, especially buoyancy in the shallows. Skills atrophy if left so you must keep reinforcing them. Ascents are very busy due to the third bag of gas (wing, drysuit, counterlung)
  • Satisfaction in learning new skills especially as you progress deeper and longer.
  • Delight in being able to do multiple dives, especially deeper ones, on the same gas without having to get fills.
  • Pleasure in mastering skills such as buoyancy and the drills.
  • Fear as the thing tries to kill you, probably through complacency on your part
  • Irritation that you cannot join the other divers down the pub as you must clean and prepare your unit for the next day
  • Smugness from knowing your box is prepared and ready for the dive as others fight their units with a hangover
  • A degree of poverty as you want to dive it as much as you can. Rebreathers are more expensive to transport by air as you may need more baggage allowance. You must set aside some money for standard maintenance such as cells, more cylinders to test (if you bother), more cylinders containing different bailouts.
  • Was going to say less backache as it's lighter, but that's arguable as you must factor in the extra bailout(s), camera, scooter, lights... A rebreather is much lighter over a few days though as on open circuit you need a twinset+decompression gas per day of (deeper) OC diving
  • Tranquillity as the diving is so much easier (once you've a couple of hundred hours of experience!). The fish aren't bothered by you as there's no noisy bubbles. Wreck/cave penetration is so much easier as there's no bubbles stirring up the percolation (bits falling from the ceiling); you've so much time available to enjoy the dive. Every dive can be many hours long, the limit is the bailout plan and the angry boat skipper

Wow, I believe you nailed it damn good.
Didn think of the pub-thing, that might be a party stopper for me....just joking:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom