AOW to DM

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RosiePaw

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey! I'm currently OW certified, and am looking into getting more courses out of the way within the next year. I've been reading about internships to go from OW to DM (or even instructor). I get the "zero to hero" way probably isn't the best way (but it has to be acceptable since PADI offers, right?)

Also, I know one needs x many of hours/dives logged before being a DM, but if the internship is for OW, then they offer opportunities to log those dives?

I like the internship idea since I could then work for the dive shop and gain more experience in all areas of DM/assistant instructor.

Anyone here taken the "zero to hero" route? Or anyone want to share their experiences at just the DM internship? If you have a blog with your journey through courses, I'd appreciate a link.

I am debating between
1) Trying to find a shop to become AOW certified and maybe get a few extra dives in. I know I should dive in different places, and it's the reason I'm thinking AOW first, then somewhere else for Rescue/DM. Any shops people recommend? I have looked through the optional adventure dives, and have more than enough picked out I'd like to try. Is there a way to choose a shop based on my courses, or do I have to look at each shop individually?

2) Dive Career - looks like their program offers flexibility as I can do the "zero to hero" course, but they offer a way to take the different courses at different sites (one in Philippines, another in Thailand, etc.)? I realize this is still a crash course, but at least the variety of dive sites are available.

3) zero-hero does sound quite pleasing. I have been in serious desire to change careers, and have thought about Go Pro since I became OW certified. One thing or another has always stopped me. Due to the desire to change careers, and 2 years of absolutely no luck, this zero-hero crash course sounds wonderful. My overall plan would be to become an assistant instructor after DM, and spend time honing all my skills - diving as well as other aspects of the trade - before becoming a OWSI. I simply just want to wake up and WANT to go to work.

Thoughts? Suggestions on where to take my next certification?
Any good journey through certification blogs?

Thanks!

I am well aware that it's not a job that'll keep the bills paid every month, or most months. I already work multiple jobs. Even knowing this would be a PT job, I am still very eager and feel passionate about sharing my love with others - which is what is being an instructor is all about, (not the money) or so it appears.

The best way to get a feel of the job is to get involved, meaning get your certs to that of a dm. When you work as a dm you'll understand what it means to become an instructor and if you still love doing... by all means go ahead.

You also need to realize that zero to hero instructors often burn out after about two years. And the internship that you pay for is more like indentured servitude that you pay for the priviledge of. And they are not very highly regarded. I would never allow a loved one of mine to train with someone that went that route. And the people that do work for these slave wages and allow themselves to be taken advantage of like this cheapen and devalue the professional ranks.

If you love diving then just dive. If you want to share it with someone - take them for a dive. There is no need to be a zero to hero instructor:)

Your phrase "get courses out of the way" is a red flag for me. They should not be treated as obstacles :)
I woukd just dive....

You also need to realize that zero to hero instructors often burn out after about two years. And the internship that you pay for is more like indentured servitude that you pay for the priviledge of. And they are not very highly regarded. I would never allow a loved one of mine to train with someone that went that route. And the people that do work for these slave wages and allow themselves to be taken advantage of like this cheapen and devalue the professional ranks.

Jim, could you elaborate on this a little? Are you referring to internships in the dive industry in general, or just those involving zero to hero? What makes them not highly regarded aside from the slave labour that occurs at more than a few shops?

I just finished a DM internship recently, and while the course price was roughly similar to what I would have paid to do it locally, I got to do a whole lot more diving and truly immerse myself in the experience in a way I wouldn't have been able to here. As far as the indentured servitude you mentioned goes, I was a bit apprehensive based on stories I'd heard of DMTs being expected to clean toilets, etc. What we ended up with was a couple of daily cleaning jobs (namely emptying the sand from the rinse tanks in the morning and mopping the shop floor at the end of the day) that even the shop owners would sometimes help with and a whole lot of diving related stuff that the paid staff also did. In my mind, I traded filling tanks and loading the boat for basically free diving. Does that mean when I go looking for a job I'll work for peanuts? No. While I have no expectation of getting rich, I do expect to make ends meet. Whether that's a reasonable expectation or not, I'll see when I start looking for jobs, but first I have to wait for the headache that my DM/OWSI applications processing is turning out to be, but that's another story.

To the OP, my thoughts about zero to hero are this: don't do it. Do AOW, go dive. Do Rescue, go dive. Then think about going pro again. I had no intentions of going pro until after Rescue, and at the same time, during my internship, I saw 2 people planning to do their DM who arrived with less than a Rescue cert and changed their minds before even starting DM; one of them was planning to do zero to hero but left with just an OW cert and I doubt he's ever going to dive again; the other had a reality check moment when the Rescue class was more demanding than she expected.

In my opinion is WAY MORE REWARDING AND VALUABLE the experience you get from diving in different scenarios (experience):
- Do Deep Dives
- Do Low Visibility Dives
- Dive Skin, WetSuits and DrySuits
- Do Wrecks
- Do Submerged Structures
- Do Salty / Do Fresh Water
- Do Navigation
- Do Search and Recovery
- Do Cavern / Caves
- Do Boat and Shore
- Do Photo and Video

If you actually make it to do ALL (and the ones not listed) of these, you'll be able to feel actually comfortable in any type of environment.

I'm not saying that is not good to have the certs (at all!), I love to get the formal recognition myself, but if you want to be "like a fish" then all you need is experience. With that experience, the certs will come together and you will not notice it! hehehe

My humble opinion is that you don't get the fast track, just dive, dive, dive; unless you need some quick extra cash. To this last point, I may say, that the common sense around here is that no one makes a lot of money as an OWSI (DM doesn't pay off), so:
1. If you are looking forward to make a profit => Take a good look at the numbers
2. If you are looking forward to have the certs alone (my case) => work on your experience and the c-card will come along

My 0.02

DIVE, DIVE, DIVE!!!!

RosiePaw, I'm not the most experienced, but my 2 cents are: I guess if you are willing to have more than one job, scuba instructor would be OK. Not for me--I was a teacher and one job was plenty. I can say that teaching in general is a rewarding job. I can see that having a scuba class of 4-10 people, mostly adults, is quite different from having a Band class of 95 6th graders. Nevertheless, you need to have good people skills, be able to deal with "misfits" (for lack of a better term), and possibly alter your general personality so you become a good leader and authority figure. I went from introvert to extrovert real quick when I started teaching. Having said all that, my diving advice would be to follow whatever plan you choose regarding courses, types of dives, number of dives, etc. Only begin the DM course when you feel ready. I started with 158 dives. Some apparently do well with less than that. I would not enter the course needing dives done DURING the course to meet the "quota". From my years now on SB, I am not impressed at all with the financial aspect of teaching diving. It seems to be a job-- hard work--like any other, despite the rewards it can bring. Being an occasional prof. musician or DM is fun too, but I wouldn't want to do it full time.

You also need to realize that zero to hero instructors often burn out after about two years.

Where did you come up with this data? Was there a study done by someone out there, or are you just pulling that out of your...?

Rosie:

I did the traditional track. It took me two years to go from rec diver to instructor. Had I been living in a tropical locale (like I used to) I would have been able to do it far quicker and would have many more certs under my belt. The thing is, two things make a good instructor (regardless of agency). Ability to teach, and experience in the environment you teach in.

If you are instructing somewhere where the conditions are calm, clear and warm, who cares if you have experience in low viz cold water. Most IDC programs will prepare you to to teach. Experience will teach you things that you will not get in the classroom. The pacing of the class is one example. What to do when and for how long and how to use your pool time/OW time most efficiently. Also, how to use your CA's to help you with the logistics. An internship will be instrumental in that aspect if you choose to go to one of the "zero-hero" programs.

I highly doubt that many on this board will endorse any "zero-hero" programs. A lot of dive pros took years to make instructor and a great many don't do it full time. I guess part of the disdain for them stems directly from that. "If it took me 2 years to do it, anything less than that must be crap!" Find one with good reviews, high IE pass rates and if you can come out as an MSDT, even better. So, if you have the time and money to go do one of these programs, do! I imagine it would be a lot of fun! Check out from the rat race for a couple of months to a tropical paradise and leave all the naysayers suffering through a cold winter behind.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom