AOW, Stay and General Advice for Cozumel/Cancun?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This, I think I am also thinking along these lines, seems like an easier thing to do. I was initially trying to mix in diving and non diving days but logistically this option makes more sense.

This shouldn't be a problem as I am going solo :) Soooo if anyone here is in Cozumel during my dates, would like to hang out and trade diving stories! :)

edit for clarity

This, I think I am also thinking along these lines, seems like an easier thing to do. I was initially trying to mix in diving and non diving days but logistically this option makes more sense.

This shouldn't be a problem as I am going solo :) Soooo if anyone here is in Cozumel during my dates, would like to hang out and trade diving stories! :)

edit for clarity
There is a thread for December roll call if you want to add yourself and see who else will be around at the same time !

Update: Staying first 6 nights at Coz, scheduled a couple fun dives and AOW. Yet to schedule remaining fun dives; will spend last 2 days at PDC and then fly out of Cancun on the last day. Thanks all for the suggestions here :)
Sounds like a great plan. Have fun!

Update: Staying first 6 nights at Coz, scheduled a couple fun dives and AOW. Yet to schedule remaining fun dives; will spend last 2 days at PDC and then fly out of Cancun on the last day. Thanks all for the suggestions here :)
I would be willing to bet a buck or two that you will be returning to Cozumel, again, and again, and again:D

oh also, anyone dove with Maple leaf scuba? I have been corresponding with them over email and they seem to be pretty highly reviewed on google but haven't seen them mentioned in any of the forums. What's the average cost per night in Casa Mexicana? Just so I have a reference to go off of?
My wife and I just got Open Water certified with them. They train closed water out of Tekila with many other shops and open water on an excellent boat with a great crew. We were VERY happy with their conscientious attitude towards us and safety. Trained with Diane and Julia - both very professional, kind and desiring we have a wonderful experience. We will return to Cozumel and use them for our next dive trips. Saw shark, all three species of turtles, sting rays including Manta ray - huge, moray eel, and innumerable fish and coral too many types to count. Very happy with them.

Sounds like an ideal trip. Who did you end up booking your dives with?

While AOW opens doors to the next level, if you are not adequately experienced, the more extreme situations and bailout processes will be all that much more overwhelming. You are just kidding yourself if you think you are ready for AOW after just 10 dives following your OW certification.

Yes, you will likely find shops/instructors that will take your money for AOW without insisting on your experience level meeting the advertised threshold (20+), but you are just going through the motions without sufficient experience first. Don't be your own worst enemy, build up your experience before seeking to take on more risk at the AOW level.

AOW without insisting on your experience level meeting the advertised threshold (20+)
I don't believe that PADI has a threshold - only that a person has completed OW.

build up your experience before seeking to take on more risk at the AOW leve

Basing this solely on my own aspirations to be only a recreational diver and nothing more, I might have said the same thing until I actually got the AOW certification and experienced what it was for me. I'm one of those who got it so an op wouldn't say I couldn't do a dive without it - haven't needed it yet

I agree about building up one's diving experience, but don't see it necessary for what AOW actually is, as long as the person is comfortable in the water.

PADI uses the phrases "advance your skills" and "this course is truly about having fun and gaining experience" on their website. Other than diving deeper and navigation, the required dives, a person could choose to do 3 other adventure dives that wouldn't require working/focusing on their actual diving - maybe enriched air (the option without an actual dive), boat, and maybe fish identification or naturalist. These type of "adventure dives" are more or less informative over diving experience. As long as a new diver understands that the AOW course has nothing to do with becoming an advanced diver, I don't see an issue with going right into it - it may peak a divers interest to dive more or advance themselves beyond AOW by completing specific specialties/courses.

I don't believe that PADI has a threshold - only that a person has completed OW.

Basing this solely on my own aspirations to be only a recreational diver and nothing more, I might have said the same thing until I actually got the AOW certification and experienced what it was for me. I'm one of those who got it so an op wouldn't say I couldn't do a dive without it - haven't needed it yet

I agree about building up one's diving experience, but don't see it necessary for what AOW actually is, as long as the person is comfortable in the water.

PADI uses the phrases "advance your skills" and "this course is truly about having fun and gaining experience" on their website. Other than diving deeper and navigation, the required dives, a person could choose to do 3 other adventure dives that wouldn't require working/focusing on their actual diving - maybe enriched air (the option without an actual dive), boat, and maybe fish identification or naturalist. These type of "adventure dives" are more or less informative over diving experience. As long as a new diver understands that the AOW course has nothing to do with becoming an advanced diver, I don't see an issue with going right into it - it may peak a divers interest to dive more or advance themselves beyond AOW by completing specific specialties/courses.
Correct about PADI (the lowest bottom feeding organization with the simplest prereq of handing over money to them), only "require" the 4 OW dives needed to get that very basic certification level. Other more conscientious organizations such as SSI actually do require 24 logged dives prior.

Focusing on PADI's AOW, the book reading & quizzes may provide more knowledge than the dives themselves, but the latter is actual experience gained. The 5 dives you pick for the AOW are not much more than supervised dives beyond what the basic OWD cert "allows". As most divers will attest, those limits on OWD are usually a non-factor when under direct supervision of a DM or higher (ie instructor), but doesn't at all assure a newbie diver is competent with even the basic OWD skills. If you already got your PADI nitrox/ENA certification (available without any included dives), you can even use that to reduce the AOW checkbox for 1 of the 5 "adventure" dives. IMO, better not to and force them to take you on 5 other skill intros.

How one approaches diving and the inherent risks for each environment type, says a lot about whether you think being a cowboy will help you survive or if thinking more scientifically would.

As sketchy as referring to Youtube is for any education, these days there are many many diver death videos posted. Binge watch and see if you get the picture.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom