AOW/Rescue Diver Not Respected

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why would it bother anyone? They spend thousands of dollars to arrive at a dream destination, they have spent thousands of dollars on training from professionals, spent thousands on buying the best gear.meticulously documented their experience in a log book and when they arrive they are forced to be subjected to a baby dive that is hardly sufficient to determine their proficiency....and you can't image why everyone is not ecstatic???

I can imagine why.... 'EGO'.

To avoid such problems, you need to learn a simple phrase: "Don't you know who I Am!?!".

It's best delivered in a high pitch screech and with a facial expression communicating a high sense of entitlement and superiority.

images (4).jpg

Last edited:
A checkout dive is to ascertain an individual's ABILITY in the water.

Certification cards from training courses and log books showing 'experience' get checked in the dive center, at the counter, over a coffee.

Which procedure gives the most accurate indication of a diver's no-BS competency?

There can be a vast gulf between actual ability and training/experience.

I wholeheartedly support dive centers that have the ethics to expect checkout dives.

I don't mind checkout dives ... I do, however, mind dive ops that continue to treat you like a beginner diver even after you've demonstrated your proficiency.

And then there are those checkout dives like the one I was subjected to at CocoView ... where I was berated by the dive guide for hovering while demonstrating a mask clear, because he wanted me on my knees so he could make sure I was "properly weighted" ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

And then there are those checkout dives like the one I was subjected to at CocoView ... where I was berated by the dive guide for hovering while demonstrating a mask clear, because he wanted me on my knees so he could make sure I was "properly weighted" ...
... Bob (Grateful Diver)
lol. ok, you said who it was :wink:

As the others have said, it mainly comes down to just what that AOW card means. No matter what the operation, shop, instructor, or agency says the card has been so watered down as to be little more than a liability release.
Even with AOW or Advanced Level classes like Bob and I offer that go way beyond the typical class, some more responsible ops just won't take the chance.
My AOW class was kinda weak. But better than some, and much better than others where I see instructors taking AOW students on the deep dive to 90 feet in 40 degree water with al80's and unsealed regs.
Others are just an instructor leading someone by the hand on the 5 or 6 dives, collecting the fee, and slapping a card in their hand.
My first Pacific Ocean dive was also my first ocean rescue assist. AOW diver with 25 plus dives. All, including his AOW cert, in the Caribbean. Off Carmel in 54 degree water, in a 7 mil for the first time, and in kelp for the first time with a buddy who took a powder, the diver got stressed, tangled up on the surface, was on the verge of panic when the DM got to him. I arrived shortly after to assist with the tow after seeing my buddy safely on the boat.
My buddy was OW certed. But had just done 20 dives off a liveaboard near Catalina. His total dive count was just over 30 as I remember from signing his log book.
The AOW cert that the dive got in the Caribbean in no way prepared him for the diving that day. His instructor told him he'd be fine.
Finding good AOW training takes a little effort now. I hope to make that task easier with the new book coming out next week.

As for Rescue training as others have said, that needs to be changed to require a refresher or recert just like CPR. I see a lot of people claiming to be "rescue divers" that haven't practiced one of the skills since they took the class 3,4, or even 6 years ago.
They are not rescue divers. The last class I taught I told my students that they need to stay up on the skills. They are also welcome to come play victim or just participate. If they want to actually be a student they'll sign a waiver and release, as well as fill out a medical.
I do one day mini rescue workshops that just go over the skills that are in the SEI OW class.
I have had people who for one reason or another did not want to take a full rescue class.
No reason not to give them the skills to do panicked diver, non-responsive diver from depth, tow while stripping gear, and supporting a diver at the surface. At least they will be able to do more than the majority of OW and AOW divers out there.

I guess I will chime in with my two cents.

I've been diving since 1986. I dive with a group of divers that between all in the group there are thousands of hours of dive time. Many do not have a card that says they are an advanced diver.

We all showed up in Roatan and the dive master said. Everyone in the water to see your level and to "check weights for buoyancy". We knew we were being assessed our competency. No one was offended.

I introduced a bunch of friends recently to diving. The norm now is to get your open water card and the next weekend start on your AOW. Really!!!! So, my point. The people that have an AOW card does not have the experience that my friends that have "experience". Whenever I go under water with strangers I assess if they are going to be a liability to me.

I would trust the dive shop is just doing their due diligence to protect everyone involved. I say. More power to them. Let's all be safe. It doesn't hurt my feeling to have a great dive and all people arrive back safely.

Jeff

I can imagine why.... 'EGO'.

To avoid such problems, you need to learn a simple phrase: "Don't you know who I Am!?!".

It's best delivered in a high pitch screech and with a facial expression communicating a high sense of entitlement and superiority.

View attachment 385101
When I filled in for vacationing crew on a live a board, I was required to "administer" these "warm up" (I think we called them) dives, but I still think it kinda sucked that we had to do it. I certainly had empathy for the customers whose time I wasted.

I have not been a customer-tourist diver for over 20 years, but I imagine I would not be excessively indignant over it.

An airline pilot can fly for a reputable company, for many years, pass all the training, and have thousands of hours on type. Every year a training officer is going to sit jump seat, and put them in a simulator, and evaluate how well they fly.

Respect is not deserved, it is earned, and in this game it is earned by getting in the water so those that are ultimately liable for you can asses the difference between what you say you can do and what you can actually do.

Whenever I had to do these "checkout" dives, I had no problem with following the rules and I never bitched about having to do them or start to show off and say that I am an instructor and don't need to do it. Rules are rules and it is far easier to just follow and respect them than to complain and grandstand and try not to follow them.

Last edited:
[QUOTE="DustyC, post: 7822575, member: 468283" I've seen people go from rescue to master IN ONE DAY. That fosters a distrust of the entire system.[/QUOTE]
LOL
If that rescue diver already has 5 specialty certifications it only takes as long as it takes to fill out the application and hand over your credit card to become a master diver.
I have dove with rescue divers with logbooks full of specialty cards who have more than enough to get the master diver rating but don't bother doing it.

I started diving in 72.. All I have is a AOW card ... Only got it because getting tanks filled became almost impossible.. Went to Bonaire and did a weight check with the guy standing on the dock... He saw wife and I in 4 feet of water do our thing and that was it.. The cards mean nothing... It's the diver that matters... Never did a weight check out dive after that..

I have no problem showing my stuff... One time, After that you're being a dick...

Jim...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom