AOW Requirements / Multiple Agencies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RonMurray

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Can someone advise me what the requirements are for an AOW certification? Have OW certification and I have visited the PADI site but it is still unclear exactly how many dives? How much classwork? etc. I assume the requirements will be similar between agencies?

Also - my OW certification is SSI (NASDS). I am considering an LDS that is offers PADI certification. Any problems now or down the road with using more than one certifying agency? I am not interested in any professional certification / only advanced recreational diving.

Can someone advise me what the requirements are for an AOW certification?

Depends on the agency.

Have OW certification and I have visited the PADI site but it is still unclear exactly how many dives?

How much classwork? etc.

You have to complete PADI's "knowledge reviews."

I assume the requirements will be similar between agencies?

You assume incorrectly. SSI, for example, requires you to complete a certain number (I think 4 or 5) of specialties and have about 25 logged dives.

Also - my OW certification is SSI (NASDS). I am considering an LDS that is offers PADI certification. Any problems now or down the road with using more than one certifying agency?

No problem.

Why don't you decide what you want to accomplish with your class, then interview various instructors in your area to see who will best help you to obtain your goal?

For a PADI AOW certification, you have to do 5 "Adventure Dives." Descriptions of the dives, including discussions of special techniques, equipment, etc, are in the PADI "Adventures in Diving" manual.

Here is a partial list
* Altitude Diver
* Boat Diver
* Drift Diver
* Deep Diver
* Dry Suit Diver
* Diver Propulsion Vehicle
* Multilevel Diver
* Night Diver
* Peak Performance Buoyancy
* Search and Recovery Diver
* Underwater Naturalist
* Underwater Videographer
* Underwater Photographer
* Underwater Navigator
* AWARE Fish Identification
* Wreck Diver

You pick three dives from the list above. The remaining two dives must be Deep and Underwater Navigation.

The PADI website on AOW is here

You will not run into any difficulties getting additional advanced certifications (Rescue, Specialty Courses, Master Scuba Diver) from PADI. PADI accepts its own certifications (of course) or "equivalent". I can't speak for other agencies.

Each Adventure Dive has its own section in the Adventures in Diving Manual. You will have to complete the Knowledge Reviews for each dive you do, and listen to a dive briefing from your instructor.

Max
PADI MSDT 198186

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom