AOW in FL: Key Largo, West Palm Beach, etc.?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alright, I'm tracking you. I'll message you later on with a few leads and why. Few other things I encourage on land training is Nitrox, EFR training, O2 provider..

FWIW: I just left the Keys last week and it's slow season. Two and a half days is doable, just be patient with your instructor because many boats won't be rolling without enough passengers so you may end up on another companies boat (boarding pass). They mostly work together, just the way it is.

Alright, I'm tracking you. I'll message you later on with a few leads and why. Few other things I encourage on land training is Nitrox, EFR training, O2 provider..

FWIW: I just left the Keys last week and it's slow season. Two and a half days is doable, just be patient with your instructor because many boats won't be rolling without enough passengers so you may end up on another companies boat (boarding pass). They mostly work together, just the way it is.

I forgot to mention that...I did the combined OW + Nitrox course, so I'm good there. I would be interested in doing the safety courses at some point, as well. ex. O2 provider and Rescue.

I'll keep that in mind. I understand that it may spill over to three days, depending on logistics and weather. I was just hoping to not have to spend a day there doing academics/classroom, as e-learning seems to be available most places.Thank you.

My sister did a refresher course with Mark at Force-E. It wasn't an AOW, but she had a good experience. I got to watch from a distance and was pretty impressed. My bet is that he's a good instructor for any scuba course

It has been a number of years but I did AOW with Jeff Nelson amd Force-e in WPB. He taught the class for just Eric and myself. Highly recommend. And although I have never had a class from him Mark Kosarin is another instructor I have dove with an recommend. They have a number of other good instructors as well. Don’t know the days or dates.

Riviera Beach Scuba Shop - Force-E Scuba Center

I called the Riviera Beach Force-E shop. They're going to be a really good option:

-They're flexible. They don't require a lot of notice to put a class together. A week or so notice is all they require.

-They have small classes. Private (single) or semi-private (2-3 people).

-E-learning is an option.

-Two days is doable (though obviously that's not a guarantee anywhere).

-Where I'd like to check out Blue Heron Bridge, this would be a cool option for me. If I give them enough notice and they have time to put the permit in, maybe I could do the night dive there.

-The course prices aren't posted on the website, so if anyone is curious...it's $450 for the semi-private and $600 for private.

It has been a number of years but I did AOW with Jeff Nelson amd Force-e in WPB. He taught the class for just Eric and myself. Highly recommend. And although I have never had a class from him Mark Kosarin is another instructor I have dove with an recommend. They have a number of other good instructors as well. Don’t know the days or dates.

Riviera Beach Scuba Shop - Force-E Scuba Center
I see you dive in West Palm .Me to I dive Jupiter to West Palm & Pompano for wreck diving .You ever looking for a dive buddy ?

I see you dive in West Palm .Me to I dive Jupiter to West Palm & Pompano for wreck diving .You ever looking for a dive buddy ?
Sorry but we would not get to dive there again until next fall. We use to dive WPB 3 to 4 times a year but circumatances have limited our trips.

I did my AOW with RRDC. It can be done in 2 days. I did it with my 2 sons , my buddy and his daughter and had an instructor for the 5 of us. Call them for details. FYI they use PADI elearning so once you decide, sign up soon so you can complete the online training before u go. Since you're starting your trip in Key Largo I recommend getting your AOW in Key Largo, that way you can dive the Speigel Grove, Duane, etc...
Once you go north to WPB its all drift diving and they will brief u on how to drift dive there.
Enjoy!!!

As mentioned in many of the previous posts it is slow in the keys right now , until
Xmas week . If you are limited on the number of days you have to dive definitely
do the on-line academics , whichever agency you choose . This will allow you to
focus on diving once you do get to your destination .
Enjoy your diving and be safe !
Sea Dwellers

I did my AOW with RRDC. It can be done in 2 days. I did it with my 2 sons , my buddy and his daughter and had an instructor for the 5 of us. Call them for details. FYI they use PADI elearning so once you decide, sign up soon so you can complete the online training before u go. Since you're starting your trip in Key Largo I recommend getting your AOW in Key Largo, that way you can dive the Speigel Grove, Duane, etc...
Once you go north to WPB its all drift diving and they will brief u on how to drift dive there.
Enjoy!!!
Enjoy!!!
That's one reason I was thinking about going up there for the course. That would be a new experience for me.

I have dove Marathon and Islamorada but not Key Largo so can not do a direct comparison. For me WPB was an excellent choice. There are multiple wrecks, dives are often in the 75 to 100 foot range, there are currents to deal with, live boat with drifting safety stops, hot drops and SMB/DSMB use common. And then there is the BHB for your skills.

We took the class very early in our diving. After our hot drop, deep, at night, on a wreck, in heavy current dive, we felt ready for anything Florida or the Caribbean had to throw at us.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom