AOW in Central MA?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you are even thinking about diving in New England in the future I would think taking the AOW here would be a great idea. I agree with everyone else that there are obstacles to overcome. But what better way to become familiar with diving in an extreme area such as New England but under the direction of an instuctors and DM that can help you. I would think if you check with the LDS they could hook you up with an instructor that would have no problem in helping you and probably even enjoy it. There are many dive sites between Cape Ann, RI and even some lakes in the area that are worth seeing. Besides, if you can complete the AOW here, diving anywhere else is a snap. And you may even find that you like catching those tasty creatures we call Lobsta....:D

Hey guys, thanks for all the info. I think I'm going to go ahead and and do my AOW in April and hook up with some of the guys before that from the LDS just to get acquainted with a 7mm wetsuit as well as figure out my weights, etc. Like I said, I work in the tropics, and live here in NE. When I'm on vacation, I'm back home, sometimes for months at a time and I'm already itching to get back in the water diving (home for less than 2 weeks so far).

Go for it. Don't worry about the people who say you need a drysuit. I've been diving in NE for ten years, year-round, without a drysuit. I tried a drysuit and I sweat so much that it wasn't worth it. In my opinion, you don't ever need a dry-suit to dive dutch. I dove there a lot in college and all I had was a ratty on 1/4" farmer john. If you're in central MA, though, Dutch is not worth the drive. Take, the course, though and get the cold water experience. It will make you a better diver whether you choose to pursue it in the future or whether you choose to stay in the tropics.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom