AOW dive in the Spiegel Grove after 12 logged dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No, sarcasim is when you say something that isn't true such as "that dive was completely safe, really". What that was (or at least what that sounded like) was laughing off a dangerous situation. When I first read that, it reminded me of the attitudes of a teenager (while laughing: "man, we almost ran right into that embankment, that would have sucked").

If he meant it some other way (and text is notorius for being mis-interpreted), I apologize. If he didn't, well, my original comment stands.

Ah, now I got you.

cool? im not saying you guys were wrong, i think you were right. ya just need to take it easy on him.

Scubastud16:
you're kidding, right? i mean no offense, but thats ridiculous. i know im new here...im no scuba God. i dont have hardly any experience under my belt either, but you guys ripped the poor guy to shreds. yes you were concerned for his safety, blah, blah, blah. several of you (loosebits, mikeferrara, fixx or something like that) went way beyond giving him advice, and literally tore him a new one. no ones perfect, and im not saying what the dive company did was right (infact i think they were very, very wrong). some said something about new people looking at scubaboard and getting scared away....and thats exactly what i think this thread will do. i love scuba diving (with the little experience i have), and im not going to get scared away by some big, bad scuba bullies. infact, i learned quite a bit in this thread. but several of you took it way, way too far. i know im now slightly tainted towards the 'all knowing' scubaboard Gods....man you guys need to give it a break. yes, he could have been hurt or even died, you made that point. but insulting him and patronizing him? it wasnt necessary, and you guys should be ashamed.

Actually I sort of defended him
me:
Well, he listened to his instructor. Think about how many posts there were in this thread recommending that he go with his instructors suggestions. It's pretty much a lost cause.

I did trash the agency, instructor and others who advocate and encourage these insane antics as training pretty well though.

If I insulted or patronized him, I need you to point out exactly where.

Aside from that, if a few people get scared off of useless dangerous classes like this, so much the better.

I hope that Icarusflies doesn't get scared away, being new also I've found a wealth of information of this board and read it alot daily. I think more people where pi**ed at the agency itself than Icarusflies in this dive. I know if my instructor had said "We're doing the SG as a deep dive." I would have been excited as hell! But also after being friends with my previous instructors and DM in OW class and diving with them afterwards doing ocean wreck dives I think knowing myself that I wouldn't be ready for it. Even though they consider me a competent dive, after my small amount of dives, I still know that if all ***** hit the fan down there I wouldn't be ready for it. Myself, if I was in that class I would be sort of pissed after that dive, first of all it's a bounce dive, I sat on the deck doing nothing. Then had to ascend after the Instructor got back. To me that wouldn't constitute my deep dive. I would want a second dive, probably not on the SG but a second one anyway somewhere where I could practice my skills at depth. Or to even see if I get narc'd. After finishing my AOW class this weekend I see that for the most part it is just a cash-cow for an agency for the most part. Just push them through. I for one am lucky that I have good friends who are also my Instructors and DM's and dive with them every chance I get. I quess I get more attention because of that. But if I was just another paying student in the class I would expect more than what most get. I also wish that every new diver got the attention and training I've gotten, because seeing some of the divers in the classes this weekend kinda scared me, knowing that someday I might be diving wherever and have one for a buddy. But for me I dove in feet first so to speak, 19 logged in 27 days. And this is one sport I love to learn about.

To end the rambling.......in the end it's the agency to blame for this dive. Just another example of get them in and out. But I hope that Icarusflies has caught the infection and continues his diving and doesn't that all this the wrong way.

Maybe this post shows my newbness but thats my feelings.

Hello Guys;

First of all I want to thank you all for the time and concern that you have shown towards this dive and my safety. I even appreciate the "spirited" comments...but I d like to make some clarifications.

I am not bragging loosebits, what there is to brag about?....as far as my humor goes, yes I have plenty and it comes in many forms....I think it is very healthy and it has nothing to do with my maturity or intelligence.

The instructor: As a new diver it is very disconcerting to hear "don't trust your instructor". Who should a new diver trust....? The instructor was the person who showed me what a regulator is...In my opinion I have not a choice at this point but to trust the instructor that is the person responsible for me under water and an individual with much more experience that I do. IMPORTANT => I am not saying that the instructor a is trust worthy person I am just saying that a new diver has no choice but to trust him. If I am wrong, and I might, I think it would be a good idea to open a thread about what to look in an instructor, for a new diver, in order to trust him (and this should be in a language that a new diver understands).

As far as being discouraged, I am far from there. I love this sport and I plan to continue my scuba education and of course you ll see me in this board posting more treads and enjoying your informative feedback, all of them...

See you in the next tread and thank you again...:wink:

Glad to see your post Icarusflies. Mature enough to take it in stride and continue on. Maybe I'll see you in Florida when I head down there next month...:D

Icarusflies,

You're right. To some extent you are at the mercy of the agencies and instructors. There are quit a few posts on the board concerning picking an instructor.

MikeFerrara:
Icarusflies,

You're right. To some extent you are at the mercy of the agencies and instructors. There are quit a few posts on the board concerning picking an instructor.

The trouble with the posts on picking an instructor is that most newbies don't even find the Board until they have already done OW and possably AOW.

Along the lines of thread, last year when I was in FL I was really surprised when this instructor too OW students out to do their dive 3 & 4 on the Boyntan reef which is a) abt 40 to 50 ft and b) a drift dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom