AOW class in two weeks time...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Breathe in, breathe out....:D

Seriously, have fun with it. The AOW class is designed to give divers a "taste" of different dive environments with an instructor present. I've completed 3 of the 5 dives required, and plan to do the last 2 once the water warms up in a month or so.

Which elective dives will you be doing. Deep and navigation are required, but you can choose the other three.

Just enjoy yourself, and learn some refined techniques in the process. Make sure you do "peak buoyancy control" as one of the modules.

Maybe it was just the class we had that was lacking....and I agree that buoyancy is critical....I just got zip out of the class the way it was done.

I would suggest the following.........find a pool that will let you in with your dive gear....yes they are out there. Try to do this with a tank that has 500 to 750 psi.

FIRST>>>>With just a swim suit on....don all the normal gear you dive with....pony....whatever...BUT WITH NO WEIGHTs.

Let all the air out of your bcd and see if you sink. If you do,,,you know if fresh water in a swim suit and normal dive rig you need no weight.

Now put on a shortie if you have one.....do the same test.
Put on your three mill.....do the test....
and so on and so on and so on....

You will be tired from all the changing but you will know per dive configuration what you need or dont need in weights. Going to salt water now???? Add maybe about 6 lbs....it depends....you should learn the formula in AOW.

There was no time in my buoyancy class for such detail. OH...AND WRITE DOWN THE RESULTS SO YOU CAN REMEMBER LATER. I was pretty lucky. Being neg buoyant as I am....I can wear my full 6mm in fresh water and still need no weight.

In the ocean...I add 6 lbs and I am good to go.

Just a suggestion.

Yeah, don't be one of the bungholes with attitudes that think taking an advanced class actually makes them an advanced diver. There is nothing worse than a guy with an advanced card that has 20 dives under his belt, and feels the need to let everyone within earshot know they are an advanced diver! The class helps, but the only way to become advanced is to keep diving and learning. Like stated before, it is only "tastes" of different diving environments.

Ditto- The only thing that will make you a advanced diver is to get more dives under your belt... :crafty:

RICHinNC:
Being neg buoyant as I am....I can wear my full 6mm in fresh water and still need no weight.

That sounds amazing, what do you have for BC & Tanks?

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom