AOW check out dives...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I imagine that would be more of an AGE issue than one of nitrogen loading?

How about saying, "rather dive conservative than place myself in the dangers of DECO"...

It was no wonder that many other divers that hit the same area of me and my dive buddy had no DECO stops, just us...

MG

Just remember your computer tracks YOUR personal profile. You can use other divers computer information to a degree, but not to one where serious decisions are based upon it.

Yep, had that same problem using new equipment. Using new ALN80 tanks, thought they hold more air, sip it down to 110 PSI, and was proud of it at that time. Not a smart thing today, took me a while to learn it and during the process, blew away new friends here and after that, just start over and learn it from there. Good thing is I'm alive today and can learn from it. Just my 2 cents for you all and know what I did back in 2007, or 2006, I forgot...

Most computers will let you enter a "dive simulation" mode, where you can tell the computer how deep you are planning to go, and it will at the very least, show you what your NDL time at that depth will be. This definitely helps in dive planning, as does knowing roughly how much gas you'll need to stay at that depth for that length of time.

I think many of us are guilty of not going thoroughly through the manual on our computers, in order to know what the various symbols and signals mean. At least now you have a great motivation to study the device you're trusting to keep you safe underwater!

You might enjoy going to The Deco Stop (you'll have to register) and searching for the thread by Doppler, entitled, "The Shape of the Curve." It may explain to you what happened, and why ascending a certain amount resolved your deco obligation in your computer's eyes.

This was a 'near miss', simple as that.

Richard

The computer had been put into a conservative mode, the deco cleared with a slow
ascent.

What made it a "near miss"?

The DIVER didn't know the computer was in a conservative mode. He didn't have any idea what the computer was doing. Luck was in favor of the diver.

Suppose he dove EANx 36 and decided to dive to 120 fsw and the computer didn't complain because it was set to air? Is that 25' going to matter? Beats me...

Or, what if the computer is set to EANx 36 and the diver is using air. What happens when the SIT's are wrong? Can't be good...

Depending on a computer to save your life and not knowing how to set it pretty much matches my concept of 'near miss'.

I realize there were redundancies at work. There was an instructor, other students, slow ascent, etc all working in favor of the diver. It doesn't always work out that way.

Richard

Depending on a computer to save your life and not knowing how to set it pretty much matches my concept of 'near miss'.

Richard

Hmm, that matches my concept of natural selection.

Just like buying a loaded handgun with absolutely no idea of what end the bullets come out or what that little trigger thingamajiggy does.

Luckily that divers education was relatively free that day.

_

The DIVER didn't know the computer was in a conservative mode. He didn't have any idea what the computer was doing. Luck was in favor of the diver.

Suppose he dove EANx 36 and decided to dive to 120 fsw and the computer didn't complain because it was set to air? Is that 25' going to matter? Beats me...

Or, what if the computer is set to EANx 36 and the diver is using air. What happens when the SIT's are wrong? Can't be good...

I realize there were redundancies at work. There was an instructor, other students, slow ascent, etc all working in favor of the diver. It doesn't always work out that way.

Richard

Richard,

I wouldn't say, "He didn't have any idea what the computer was doing." I did pass open water cert and know that I was placed in DECO...

My question was how did I hit DECO so quickly when just two weekends before I had done a similar deep dive down to 97 ft...

Later I found out that since I hit 103 ft max, I was sent up to the next group 110 ft and then diving at 1,000 ft above sea level was conservative...

My knowlege of open water plus me communicating with my instructor via my slate gave me answers to not allow me to panic...

I was already on my ascent and I just followed the computers guide and made the necessary stops...

MG

Back
Top Bottom