AOW certified now. What's next?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

YCW

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am just a recreational diver with no intention of making a career out of diving.

Having just completed my AOW course last week (BTW, really enjoyed the course. Very much less classroom time compare to OW course, and it is more of a skill fine-tuning course rather than actually learning a lot of new skills), I am definitely thinking about getting more dive training (will do rescue for sure), but to what extent? How far will you go, if you are not turning pro? Any thoughts?

zboss:
Dive! Dive! Dive!
perfect

stay within your comfort zone and dive all you can. Eventually you'll want to get yourself an advanced card or even better be a master diver and that's a very reasonable goal to attain.

but

dive dive dive

Certainly go for Rescue. It'll make you a better and more aware buddy. Everyone who is going to be diving regularly should take a Rescue class. Aside from that, enjoy diving! Just diving a lot will eventually tell you whether or not you want to go beyond that. You'll probably want to get Nitrox certified other courses will become obvious based on the type of diving you do and what you enjoy while diving.

YCW:
I am just a recreational diver with no intention of making a career out of diving.

Having just completed my AOW course last week (BTW, really enjoyed the course. Very much less classroom time compare to OW course, and it is more of a skill fine-tuning course rather than actually learning a lot of new skills), I am definitely thinking about getting more dive training (will do rescue for sure), but to what extent? How far will you go, if you are not turning pro? Any thoughts?

I guess it depends what elections you made in AOW.

If you did not do Nitrox it would be good for either deep recreational dives or if you see plans for a dive intensive vacation in your future.

Are you a shutter bug? Plenty of room to grow there.

Go through with the Rescue cert. I hear that's a real growth experience. I you feel you have a weakness or yearning afterwards then pursue training.

Take your time, enjoy the ride.

Pete

For now, just dive. Nice relaxed recreational dives. Pickup your Nitrox cert anywhere along the way...
At around the 50 - 75 dive mark, I'd recommend the rescue course.
At around 100 dives, cavern. Don't rush. Time underwater is important to the value of the continuing ed.
I found those two courses helped me more than any others to be a more competent, controlled recreational diver. Rescue for confidence and safety; Cavern for technique (and more confidence and safety).
More confidence and control = more fun.
Warning: After you complete cavern you may very well get hooked into the Dark Side... Advanced Nitrox... deco... trimix... wreck... cave... $$$$$$$$....
Rick

YCW,

I think one person has mentioned it already. Spend time diving rather than trying to climb a ladder. That said continuing education I believe is a hallmark of a good diver. As your interests develop take the training that is needed. For example if you have an interest in wrecks take your wreck diver, possibly your nitrox, possibly your deep speciality. Then look at other training opportunities for advanced training. If you don't plan on going PRO consider the Master Diver or Master SCUBA Diver Program. Good luck.

All the best,

Paul

YCW:

Rick Murchison:
For now, just dive. Nice relaxed recreational dives. Pickup your Nitrox cert anywhere along the way...
At around the 50 - 75 dive mark, I'd recommend the rescue course.
At around 100 dives, cavern. Don't rush. Time underwater is important to the value of the continuing ed.
I found those two courses helped me more than any others to be a more competent, controlled recreational diver. Rescue for confidence and safety; Cavern for technique (and more confidence and safety).
More confidence and control = more fun.
Warning: After you complete cavern you may very well get hooked into the Dark Side... Advanced Nitrox... deco... trimix... wreck... cave... $$$$$$$$....
Rick

Couldn't have said it better myself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom