AOW and deep dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I took AOW in Florida. My "Deep" dive was to 63'. A longer boat trip could've gotten to 100' water. I think the deep dive should be to 100' because that's what your AOW "recommended" depth will be . Of course, seeing how fast your gas goes at 100' as opposed to 63' is very important. I'm not sure what the solution is if 100' is not at all available, which is the case in many many places.

The deep dive for my AOW was a night dive, to 100 feet, in current, at a wreck. After that dive we felt pretty much ready for anything! Just kidding, but it did boost our confidence.

The one basic skill that I seem to be incapable of learning, book, class or experience is navigation!

I'm not a fan of the PADI AOW "Adventure Dive" concept. I'm PADI AOW, with four full specialities (Deep, Nav, Nitrox, and Equipment) and Rescue. I took my Deep Specialty in Cozumel, going to 130'. I've done numerous dive in the 60-100' range and a few over 100' (including training) I still do not feel fully qualified to do "deep" dives, for the reason TSandM stated: PADI doesn't teach good gas management in the training I've been given. To independently plan and manage deep dives, I think sound gas management and more deco training should be part of the curriculum.

It's probably just an arbitrary "line in the water" but even now, after AOW and many dives to 100, I do not feel comfortable at any significant depth past that point.

The PADI AOW IMO is just a continuation of the PADI OW course...a general overview and just the basics to keep you safe if you follow the guidelines. But regardless of what training agency you choose, one should not discontinue learning. I would advocate trying different training agencies. When we stop learning we stop growing and growing is the key to experiencing new situations (positive and negative) and experience will lead to competency.

I would agree with much that has been said about deep diving in this post, however one key part in my mind about LowDrag’s question is the wreck diving. The combination of deep and wreck will add a much greater level of diving than just deep alone. My suggestion to anyone wanting to get serious into wreck diving is to find the most experienced wreck diver with a passion for wreck diving and get training. Depending on what you want to do on the wreck such as penetration, this requires specialized training far beyond deep or basic wreck diving alone.

I would agree with much that has been said about deep diving in this post, however one key part in my mind about LowDrag’s question is the wreck diving. The combination of deep and wreck will add a much greater level of diving than just deep alone. My suggestion to anyone wanting to get serious into wreck diving is to find the most experienced wreck diver with a passion for wreck diving and get training. Depending on what you want to do on the wreck such as penetration, this requires specialized training far beyond deep or basic wreck diving alone.

Just to clear the air so to speak. I am not interested in penetrating any wrecks yet. I am fully aware that I am not capable of that. So, with that being said, my goal is to seek information regarding what to do training wise after AOW so that if I want to dive on a wreck or anything else past the 60' mark I can be prepared to do so. Everyone seems to be pretty on course with that and I really appreciate everyone's thoughts. I know I need more experience but like I said back on page one or two I like to plan ahead.

During my OW classes the Puget Sound was super murky. We couldn't see past 2' during our testing. I feel after having past my course in those conditions that I feel confident that with more experience and proper training that I could feel comfortable hitting 100'.

I would consider the Deep specialty.

I would consider the Deep specialty.

Definitely...that is one of the required specialties for AOW thru SSI. My LDS is allowed to pick the specialties based on the type of diving we do in our local area. We are required to take Deep diving, Night/Low Visibility, Perfect Buoyancy and Navigation.

I like and agree with a lot of what these other divers are saying. I also want to say I wouldn't even consider 100' until I had a lot more dives in. Going that deep is a whole other ballgame if you ask me. You have to be prepared for anything and practice your skills more. Of course, read up on it, maybe take the Nitrox class, etc., but I would not attempt these deep dives until I had more dives under my belt. I know it's hard and you want to - but when you read upon some divers deaths and inexperience - it is quite scary. I didn't even attempt my first 100' dive until I had about 70 dives in. I am around 140 now and I think I've done 16. Give yourself some time and get the experience before you do it - that is my best advice! Good Luck! Meredith

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom