Aortic aneurysm....end of the dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry to be late to the game. My screen name has changed from debersole to Dr. Doug Ebersole on the advice of NetDoc (now Chariman of the Board).

There should not be a significant risk for recreational scuba diving with a moderate sized ascending aortic aneurysm which has been stable in size for 5 years. We get concerned about rupture and therefore start thinking about surgery if there is rapid progression of the size or at a diameter of around 5.5 cm. You are nowhere close to that size and it has been stable for several years. Diving should not put undue stress on the ascending aorta if your BP is well controlled. You mentioned lifting constraints which I would agree with. Hence, recreational diving with an aluminum 80 is fine but I would recommend avoiding diving doubles.

Dr. Ebersole, thank you for chiming in, much appreciated. I have been doing a lot of reading on immersion and the effects on the heart. All lot I didn’t know for sure. I actually arrived in Grand Cayman yesterday for a “dive vacation”. Needless to say based on what has been mentioned and what I have read I decided to leave the gear home and just snorkel- on the surface only. My next CT scan and echo is in January. At that point if there is no change and my cardiologist agrees, I will get back in the water. I probably will limit my depth however. I do have one more question. In your opinion which would be riskier, scuba diving or snorkeling and holding your breath down 10-15 ft.? Again, thanks DDM, Dr. Bill and Dr.Ebersole for taking the time to respond.
Rick

Dr Ebersole...not sure you will see this but wanted to inquire about diving after an ascending aortic aneurysm repair. My husband was diagnosed in Nov and was a 5.4 cm. Due to his great health, COVID delays and opening back up of surgery suites he finally had his surgery on 6/17/2020. Surgeon in Wisconsin replaced the ascending aorta with Dacron and was able to repair some holes in the valve that were discovered in surgery. Oh it was discovered due to a screening and he never had any symptoms
Question we have is how does my husband get evaluated for diving and cleared or should we resolve to snorkeling vs diving. We are pretty much vacation divers 2-4 weeks of diving per year. Age 56, great health and within 6 days of surgery was back up to 3 miles walking 2x per day.

Dr Ebersole...not sure you will see this but wanted to inquire about diving after an ascending aortic aneurysm repair. My husband was diagnosed in Nov and was a 5.4 cm. Due to his great health, COVID delays and opening back up of surgery suites he finally had his surgery on 6/17/2020. Surgeon in Wisconsin replaced the ascending aorta with Dacron and was able to repair some holes in the valve that were discovered in surgery. Oh it was discovered due to a screening and he never had any symptoms
Question we have is how does my husband get evaluated for diving and cleared or should we resolve to snorkeling vs diving. We are pretty much vacation divers 2-4 weeks of diving per year. Age 56, great health and within 6 days of surgery was back up to 3 miles walking 2x per day.

I'm not Dr. Ebersole and would defer to his expertise on this, but for what it's worth, I think that this decision is best made with your husband's CT surgeon and a good diving medical physician. If you're anywhere near Milwaukee, Aurora St. Luke's has a hyperbaric unit with physicians who can evaluate divers for fitness to dive.

Best regards,
DDM

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom