Anything to do in San Pedro Sula?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There's a hotel out near the airport now - about 4 Km - Microtel Suites. I haven't stayed there so I can't say what it is like. Also, Hedman Alas first class bus lines runs busses regularly into their terminal from the airport. http://www.hedmanalas.com Hotel Ejecutivo as well as the Holiday Inn are a short cab ride from the bus terminal. The Ejecutivo is safe, clean, AC/hot water, internet access, cable TV with English language stations, breakfast included - it's where we usually stay.

My daughter and I regularly go to SPS without any problem. We live in Honduras. SPS is where we shop and we do a several day trip. I've walked from the Ejecutivo to the downtown central plaza during the day with no problem. After dark, I always use taxis except to go to El Fogoncito Mexican restaurant which is around the corner from the hotel. Central park area is patrolled by municipal police - some are English speakers.

The biggest problems I've had are with the aggressive money changers. They haven't gotten the message that I don't need to sell dollars - I live and work here and deal in Lempira only.

DiversMom:
There's a hotel out near the airport now - about 4 Km - Microtel Suites. I haven't stayed there so I can't say what it is like. Also, Hedman Alas first class bus lines runs busses regularly into their terminal from the airport. http://www.hedmanalas.com Hotel Ejecutivo as well as the Holiday Inn are a short cab ride from the bus terminal. The Ejecutivo is safe, clean, AC/hot water, internet access, cable TV with English language stations, breakfast included - it's where we usually stay.

My daughter and I regularly go to SPS without any problem. We live in Honduras. SPS is where we shop and we do a several day trip. I've walked from the Ejecutivo to the downtown central plaza during the day with no problem. After dark, I always use taxis except to go to El Fogoncito Mexican restaurant which is around the corner from the hotel. Central park area is patrolled by municipal police - some are English speakers.

The biggest problems I've had are with the aggressive money changers. They haven't gotten the message that I don't need to sell dollars - I live and work here and deal in Lempira only.

Thanks for your excellent info - I think now, we'll play it by ear, as there are certainly many unknowns to travel (like, will Continental REALLY get us there at 11:30 :wink: ) I enjoy capturing sights & sounds of a different culture, so I'm inclined to go into town or the mall you mentioned. Very interesting about having to check in our luggage at the stores - would you happen to know if there are secure lockers at the airport large enough (*and SECURE enough*) to hold our dive gear while we're tooling around town?

I arrived on time, actually 5 minutes early when I flew in last week on the Continental flight from Houston. It then took about 30-40 minutes to clear immigration. I think there is a flight that comes in about 11 so there was a slight back up - the remainder of that flight plus the Continental flight. They did open additional lines to help speed things up.

Unfortunately there are no lockers at the airport nor at the bus terminal for storage.
If you end up staying at the airport, there is a third floor restaurant that has an observation area for a view of the airfield. There is also a small cybercafe in the main terminal area and people watching at the airport can be interesting.

I'd say get some restaurant recommendations, take a cab into town, have a nice leisurely lunch in town and return to the airport. There are American chains like Applebee's, Ruby Tuesday's, Pizza hut in SPS and El Fogoncito is the Honduran branch of a Mexican chain restaurant. We tend to go to El Fogoncito since we stay at a hotel nearby when we are in SPS. The Best Western hotel on the central plaza has a restaurant and it also has a bakery that serves light lunches.

parrotheaddiver:
It always amazes me when Americans visit another country they end up eating at places like Pizza Hut. Support the local economy eat local. :D

I'm an American but I live 2 hours south of San Pedro Sula...so Pizza Hut or Ruby Tuesdays, or TGI Friday's or Applebee's IS treat. Even the Mexican chain El Fogoncito is a different taste. Eating local is a daily occurence - why spend money on something I get as part of the "perks" of my job?

When I'm transiting any place, I'll eat in a predictable chain place,generally no suprises, or a place recommended to me by someone who lives in the area and whom I know. I really wouldn't want to come down with with a case of the screaming,bubbling, exploding craps while flying from SPS through to Roatan on an aircraft with no toilet. It'll be the longest, most embarassing flight of your life. A gain in altitude plus the effects of Boyle's Law means you are definitely farting with fear. I've been there and done that - not from SPS to Roatan but on a flight within the US after coming down with food poisoning. It ain't fun.

Thanks for all the nice emails about the report. At CCV we stayed in Bungalow A, over the water and closest to the bar. We thought it was a great room and the air-condionting was a bonus. The only "advantage" we felt our bungalow had at AKR was it's isolation/privacy.

I was there in March. We took the bus from La Cieba to San Pedro Sula. People were very friendly and nice. I practiced my very limited spanish on the bus with a little boy who was eager to talk. Once in San Pedro Sula we walked with our backpacks to look for a hotel. We got mixed up on our Lonley Planet Map and nice gentleman with a pick up truck was able to help us out. He even offered to give us a ride in back which we took. He did not ask for money and gave us some nice tips about the town and told us what cab fares we could negotiate (this saved a lot). I wouldn't make a point of staying in the city, but if you are there it is worth checking out. It has a nice Plaza.

Well just assuming that I'm not a terrified tourist, can anyone tell me if there are any places to party in SPS? My buddy and I have a choice of either staying overnight there or in Tegucigalpa. We are young guys, well traveled and out for a good party. Which one of these two cities has better nightlife? No finger wagging warnings please.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom